receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose1981

What is the VA rating of simplex, duplex and quad receptacle according to NEC code? Where can I find the VA rating in the code book?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What is the VA rating of simplex, duplex and quad receptacle according to NEC code? Where can I find the VA rating in the code book?
You can't find the VA rating in the code book. It's not a code issue. The rating is a declaration by the manufacturer of what the device is capable of handling.

But perhaps you were not asking about rating? Perhaps instead you are interested in how much you need to assign to each receptacle type, as you are performing a load calculation? The others have already given the code reference. But the simple answer is you assign 90 VA for each place into which you can insert a plug. A simplex is assigned 90 VA, a duplex is assigned 180 VA, and a quad is assigned 360 VA. Is that what you were asking?

rose1981

Thanks Charlie! That's what I was asking for. Sorry for not asking the question properly:D. That's exactly, even I thought, how receptacle load is calculated. But when I went through the NEC code 220.14 (I), I got confused.
It says " Receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180VA for each single or for each multiple receptacle on one yolk. A single piece of equipment consisting of multiple receptacle comprised of four or more receptacles shall be calculated at not less than 90 VA per receptacle. This provision shall not be applicable to the receptacle outlets specified in 210.11(C)(1) and (C)(2)."

jumper

. But the simple answer is you assign 90 VA for each place into which you can insert a plug. A simplex is assigned 90 VA, a duplex is assigned 180 VA, and a quad is assigned 360 VA. Is that what you were asking?

I do not think so, Charlie.

220.14(I) Receptacle Outlets. Except as covered in 220.14(J)
and (K), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less
than 180 volt-amperes for each single or for each multiple
receptacle on one yoke.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I do not think so, Charlie.

220.14(I) Receptacle Outlets. Except as covered in 220.14(J)
and (K), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less
than 180 volt-amperes for each single or for each multiple
receptacle on one yoke.

Wow, I've been doing the same thing - counting 90VA for a simplex. Where the heck did I get that from? Did I just assume a simplex should be half a duplex? I wonder if the code was ever written that way.

Edit: Well, even the '96 code says 180VA for a simplex, so I guess I have no excuse.

jumper

Wow, I've been doing the same thing - counting 90VA for a simplex. Where the heck did I get that from? Did I just assume a simplex should be half a duplex? I wonder if the code was ever written that way.

I could venture a guess that you and Charlie got it from using 90VA per receptacle for a quadplex, which would be 360VA.

iwire

Staff member
But the simple answer is you assign 90 VA for each place into which you can insert a plug. A simplex is assigned 90 VA, a duplex is assigned 180 VA, and a quad is assigned 360 VA. Is that what you were asking?

None of which applies to dwelling units .......

rose1981

So, that means even a simplex is calculated as 180VA:blink:.....I always thought simplex is 90VA, duplex is 180VA and quad is 360VA

Status
Not open for further replies.