Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Jack chain hung fixtures

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    402

    Jack chain hung fixtures

    I am replacing 4foot Flourscent fixtures with two foot LED fixtures. The existing fixtures are hung with jack chain. I hung a couple new ones using the existing chain drops. The chain does not go straight down now but at a angle because of the shorter fixture. Should I have any concerns besides how it looks? They are about 30 feet to bottom of fixture and do not look bad besides the fact that I am used to things being straight. If I add new drops the old drops will be visible or the holes will be and may look odd as well.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by arnettda View Post
    I am replacing 4foot Flourscent fixtures with two foot LED fixtures. The existing fixtures are hung with jack chain. I hung a couple new ones using the existing chain drops. The chain does not go straight down now but at a angle because of the shorter fixture. Should I have any concerns besides how it looks? They are about 30 feet to bottom of fixture and do not look bad besides the fact that I am used to things being straight. If I add new drops the old drops will be visible or the holes will be and may look odd as well.
    I would have zero concerns over whether or not it will hold up. But if the lack of being straight concerns you they may make a piece that could correct that. Or a small piece of flat iron customized (like a wing) to hook onto the lights and chain

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    10,062
    Quote Originally Posted by arnettda View Post
    I am replacing 4foot Flourscent fixtures with two foot LED fixtures. The existing fixtures are hung with jack chain. I hung a couple new ones using the existing chain drops. The chain does not go straight down now but at a angle because of the shorter fixture. Should I have any concerns besides how it looks? They are about 30 feet to bottom of fixture and do not look bad besides the fact that I am used to things being straight. If I add new drops the old drops will be visible or the holes will be and may look odd as well.
    They look real nice from here and if you explain the added cost to correct the problem, I would bet they look nice from the customers viewpoint as well.
    Tom
    TBLO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,760
    Quote Originally Posted by MattS87 View Post
    I would have zero concerns over whether or not it will hold up. But if the lack of being straight concerns you they may make a piece that could correct that. Or a small piece of flat iron customized (like a wing) to hook onto the lights and chain

    I like that idea. he could get more jack chain in the exact length of the fixture and go up to about 1 foot below the anchor point. and hook it between the drops. It would almost look intentional if all of them were the same.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    5,445
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    They look real nice from here and if you explain the added cost to correct the problem, I would bet they look nice from the customers viewpoint as well.



    Was never too good at geometry, however if the new fixtures are two foot shorter than the old and the chains are 30 ft long, that would mean each chain is now one foot off from vertical, over 30 ft.... what is that about 2 degrees off vertical then? No way I would go to the ceiling and re-suspend every other chain so the chains are straight.

    Of course, I probably would have ordered four foot replacement fixtures in the first place so that the chains would be straight.

    I understand that we all want our work to look good and not have somebody come behind us and go "what the #@$&!", but if the customer is not willing to pay for your labor to hang the chains dead straight, then let the next guy wonder away.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •