Thread: Romex in NYC residential

Romex in NYC residential

What's up fellas

My brother just bought a house in NYC, ozone park to be exact. He wants me to add some recessed lighting.

I work out on Long Island where nm romex is the standard, and it's been a long understanding that this is a no go in NYC.

Recently talking to a buddy he said it has since been changed and romex is ok to use in a residential application not exceeding 3 stores in a multi family dwelling? He also mentioned that when running 15amp lighting circuits I must use 12 wire not 14.

Any clarity on this topic would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

The minimum conductor size in NYC is #12 so don't bother with any 15 amp circuits. Look here for the NM cable requirements:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/building...rical_code.pdf
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    The minimum conductor size in NYC is #12 so don't bother with any 15 amp circuits. Look here for the NM cable requirements:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/building...rical_code.pdf
    Specifically 334.10 Uses Permitted

and 334.12 Uses Not Permitted

Those are amendments to the 2008 NEC
    Ron

Talk about quick replies, thankyou both so much.

According to those articles it looks like I'm good to use 12/2 romex up in the finished ceiling for the lights.

And I need to run a dryer line in the basement, ceiling is not finished, according to this in guessing drilling thru the studs in the ceiling then changing over to a piece of emt to get down the wall is ok?

Thanks again for the help guys!

I would use wiring method that already exists in the house to make the installation consistent. If there was type AC (bx) cable used I would stick to it.