Thread: Transformer Voltage

Transformer Voltage

I have a 7200 - 480/277V standard pad mount transformer. The primary is fed from overhead utility line. We de-energized the utility line due to some crane lifts going on in the area.

We hooked up a 480V generator and tied to secondary of transformer. By doing so, would you see 7200V on primary? I thought a buck boost transformer was needed for this type of application.

The transformer will most likely have that voltage on the primary which means it will heat up the lines that are feeding even though they are disconnected from utilities. Why not just hook the generator into the panel or disco and isolate the transformer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the primary fuses have been disconnected, so there is no way of back-feeding.

Running the generator cables through a high traffic building and getting to panel was going to be a hassle. So we decided to hit the transformer.

Thanks for the feedback.

That makes sense. Just curious, I my area we almost always have an exterior disconnect that we can hit and not have to deal with getting into the transformer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk