Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neutral to Ground Connection

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If you have a service rated ATS, and it is installed as the service disconnecting means - it must have the grounded service conductor bonded and connected to the grounding electrode system
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by publicgood View Post
    Originally Posted by kwired
    If you have a service rated ATS, and it is installed as the service disconnecting means - it must have the grounded service conductor bonded and connected to the grounding electrode system

Yes
    And if you are then supplying the existing service panel - it is no longer the service panel and you must separate neutrals and EGC's.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Actually, it's pretty simple. Whichever way the transfer switch is thrown there shall be one and only one neutral to ground bond on the live circuitry supplying power to the loads.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Actually, it's pretty simple. Whichever way the transfer switch is thrown there shall be one and only one neutral to ground bond on the live circuitry supplying power to the loads.
    Not necessarily. As a 4-Pole switch, there may be N-G on each side if there is not a local disconnect at the generator.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Not necessarily. As a 4-Pole switch, there may be N-G on each side if there is not a local disconnect at the generator.
    If wired correctly, be it a two, three, or four pole transfer switch, what ggun is saying is accurate.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

the local disconnect has nothing to do with the N-G bond.

If the neutral is also switched, you could have a N-G bond on both line sides of the transfer switch but only one would be connected to the premises wiring system at a time since the transfer switch would also select the N-G bond to only the one that is switched on.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I understand what you are saying a gen is not feed from a xfmr. even though I stated it that way. Anyhow the N-G connection is made at the CT cabinet as shown per the attached PDF. My question remains does the N-G connection need to be remove from the existing MDP assuming one exist.
    This diagram is screwy.

It must be that one of the conduits on the top actually is fed from the meter and the other from the generator. If so the diagram shows the neutral and line conductors from the meter in separate conduits which I don't believe is allowed.

other than that, i think the diagram is Ok if the transfer switch is service rated and the generator does not have a N-G bond.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    the local disconnect has nothing to do with the N-G bond.

If the neutral is also switched, you could have a N-G bond on both line sides of the transfer switch but only one would be connected to the premises wiring system at a time since the transfer switch would also select the N-G bond to only the one that is switched on.
    Bingo.