Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Track lighting frustrations...

Quote Originally Posted by mkgrady View Post
    Today I did troubleshooting on led wafer lights. The lights would randomly flicker. The dimmer was on the list of approved dimmers. I changed the dimmer and it did the same thing. Then I tried a dimmer that was for incandescent or halogen but not led. That fixed the problem. I don’t understand why
    1. Always look for a dimmer with a three wire (line/load/neutral) configuration to avoid dependence of operation on load voltage characteristics.
    2. Compatibility lists are often not updated after product changes.

Hmmm, interesting...

Each set of tracks is on a dimmer switch. Just your typical Lutron. It's rated for LED. Doesnt use a neutral. What type of dimmer are you referring to?

I was also wondering if the dimmers were getting hot, they're both in the same box.
    I told the manager if the issue continues I would change out the dimmers for standard 3-ways to see if it changes things as an experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by mkgrady View Post
    Today I did troubleshooting on led wafer lights. The lights would randomly flicker. The dimmer was on the list of approved dimmers. I changed the dimmer and it did the same thing. Then I tried a dimmer that was for incandescent or halogen but not led. That fixed the problem. I don’t understand why
    Lurton AY-600P. First I bypassed the dimmer. That made the flicker stop. Switched to this dimmer and it works fine. Full range of dimming. I don’t get it

Something to check on the led dimmer is the trim settings. If too low then you will get flickering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sw_ross View Post
    Hmmm, interesting...

Each set of tracks is on a dimmer switch. Just your typical Lutron. It's rated for LED. Doesnt use a neutral. What type of dimmer are you referring to?

I was also wondering if the dimmers were getting hot, they're both in the same box.
    I told the manager if the issue continues I would change out the dimmers for standard 3-ways to see if it changes things as an experiment.
    Early phase shift dimmers operated entirely from the drop between the line voltage and the load voltage during the time the pass element in the dimmer was open. Among other things, with tungsten filament bulbs the great difference between the cold and hot filament resistance causes the hysteresis effect in which you have to raise the dimmer will above the lowest stable dim setting to get the bulb to restart, then turn the dimmer back down to get a lower output.
    Not all three wire dimmers use the neutral. To make them usable in existing switch boxes without a neutral present they instead all used to use the green wired (EGC) as a return path for normal operating current of the dimmer circuit itself. Thankfully that mode of operation is being phased out.