Thread: Emergency lights

Emergency lights

My question is can I put the emergency ights on a regular light circuit? This is commercial and I don’t have my code book with me .
    gusco

Quote Originally Posted by guschash View Post
    My question is can I put the emergency ights on a regular light circuit? This is commercial and I don’t have my code book with me .
    If these are battery backup e-lights the answer is not only "yes you can" but also "yes you should". The e-lights should share the same circuit as the lights providing regular illumination. That way, if the circuit goes down for reasons other than a general building blackout, occupants can exit the affected area safely.

Thanks
    gusco

Quote Originally Posted by guschash View Post
    If you are installing EBU’s, these have to be on the same circuit that serves the lights in the area where you are installing the EBU's

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthisworld View Post
    If you are installing EBU’s, these have to be on the same circuit that serves the lights in the area where you are installing the EBU's
    And they may need a separate source of constant power so that they can distinguish between a power failure and someone turning off the lights at a switch. (If the fixtures are not always-on night lights they would have to turn on in the case of an actual power failure.)

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    And they may need a separate source of constant power so that they can distinguish between a power failure and someone turning off the lights at a switch. (If the fixtures are not always-on night lights they would have to turn on in the case of an actual power failure.)
    Not really a "separate source" but an unswitched source from the same circuit that supplies the normal lighting in the area.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    Not really a "separate source" but an unswitched source from the same circuit that supplies the normal lighting in the area.
    That's the way I've always seen it done.