SKM, ETAP, Easypower, or EDSA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I am a recent graduate and conducting my first AC Arc Flash study :huh: and need advice on which power software to purchase. What I’m most interested in is the ease of use and time saving capabilities. I work for a consulting company where time is really of the essence but I also want to generate quality work. The projects I’ll be dealing with will range between 0.48 kV to 15 kV. Any advice? :)

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
The OP also posted on another forum that is about arc flash and here is my response that I posted there:

First off a study involves much more than just the software. There are many decisions that go into the analysis. One item that you need to be concerned with is the quality of the data collection.

If you have not done so, you should:

1. Read IEEE 1584-2002
2. Read NFPA 70E-2015
3. Take a class on arc flash studies (the forum host teaches them)
4. Decide what else you are going to use the software for, for example, Harmonic studies, motor starting, etc.
5. Based on #4, may lead you to eliminate one software
6. Get evaluation copies of the software and try it out.
7. If this is a one time study for your firm, it may be less expensive to sub-contract it as I think the minimum package price is around $10k

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I haven't used the other brands, so I can't really comment on which is better. But I choose SKM when I was in the same position. I believe it was the least expensive package for arc flash and general studies including short circuit and load flow.

Get your free copy of "Practical guide to arc flash hazards" from easy power or a similar place. Its a must have.

Tony S

Hi!

I am a recent graduate and conducting my first AC Arc Flash study :huh: and need advice on which power software to purchase. What I’m most interested in is the ease of use and time saving capabilities. I work for a consulting company where time is really of the essence but I also want to generate quality work. The projects I’ll be dealing with will range between 0.48 kV to 15 kV. Any advice? :)

A very simple and reasonable cost effective bit of advice, get the company to pay for the software or use the “in house” licensed software.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Just to update all of you, my firm ended up purchasing ETAP. I’m still fairly new to this so I was wondering if anyone here has experience using the software. Are there any good tips you can provide? I am going to use the tutorials online to help me get started.

Bugman1400

I have them all except EDSA. I used to prefer ETAP because it was much more user-friendly over SKM and EasyPower. Now, all of them are really feature rich but, only ETAP seems to have DC arc flash capabilities.

You will need to read all the tutorials you can just to go through the exercises and get used to the button and screens. If you have specific questions after that then, just ask.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Unless I'm forced to use something else (client preference) my default is always ETAP.

Plus, they will actually do the work for you ($$) if you are in a pinch and need expertise; and they won't go out and steal your clients. Very reputable, and knowledgeable folks over there.

Almost forgot I created this thread haha! So...I've been using the ETAP software now for almost 5 months. I'm starting to become comfortable using the software since I've done a couple projects already. I do plan on taking a training class just to solidify what I already know. Has anyone here taken a class with ETAP before? I just wanna know if it's worth it and also if you would recommend it for a rookie like me :roll:

-Reggie

Status
Not open for further replies.