Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Solar Panel Manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Reducing the neutral can be done on any inverter that only uses the neutral as a voltage reference. Sometimes it's in the installation manual but sometimes you need to ask the manufacturer.

Yeah, but some manufacturers don't state that and wont tell you either, like it's a matter of national security or some unsolved mystery

Then there is the option that chint and solectria state that the neutral can be jumpered to the egc terminal and the neutral conductor eliminated all together - potentially not liked by inspectors tho.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Yeah, but some manufacturers don't state that and wont tell you either, like it's a matter of national security or some unsolved mystery

Then there is the option that chint and solectria state that the neutral can be jumpered to the egc terminal and the neutral conductor eliminated all together - potentially not liked by inspectors tho.
    If they won't give it to you in writing, then, yes, you'll have to use a full sized neutral. It's not a secret, necessarily; they might see it as a potential liability. Also, I have seen three phase inverters that under the hood were three separate single phase inverters phase to neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    If they won't give it to you in writing, then, yes, you'll have to use a full sized neutral. It's not a secret, necessarily; they might see it as a potential liability. Also, I have seen three phase inverters that under the hood were three separate single phase inverters phase to neutral.
    Being someone who has installed pv systems in georgia in august with fire ants everywhere, and upstate NY in the mud and the snow, IMO there is no reason we should be installing neutral conductors to inverters

"You can't generalize"

Being someone who has installed pv systems in georgia in august with fire ants everywhere, and upstate NY in the mud and the snow, IMO there is no reason we should be installing neutral conductors to inverters
    I can't fight that logic. I can't fight what I can't see.

All logic and reason aside, if the manufacturer's instructions (listing conditions) for the inverter require it the code enforces that requirement.

And many 240V inverters have a test for voltage balance between L1-N and L2-N (required or encouraged by UL?). You would have to fake that with a voltage divider of some sort or hope that local ground will fill the need.

Many inverters default to looking for the neutral but can be set to operate without it. In that case the neutral can simply be eliminated. Enphase got rid of the neutral entirely on their new products; you still need one for the Envoy if you use the combiner, but you can invoke the calculated load on the feeder to size it per the EGC, no 705 rule need be invoked.

Not disagreeing with anything here, but my point is if everyone - installers, inverter manufacturers, UL, inspectors, etc - would just get on the same page we could get rid of the neuter and save everyone time and money. The last large system I worked on had 67 inverters and 6 combiner panelboards. How much did that neutral that was a completely "unnecessary" cost?

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by SolarAlternativesDesign View Post
    One suggestion is to work with a trusted distributor. The experienced distributors tend to narrow down their module offerings to a few manufacturers and models that they have researched, to the best of their ability, and judged to be best values.
    For some who use sunpower modules, does a company have to be a sunpower installer to purchase their modules and racking? I've read comparisons and at 96 cells and 41 pounds, sunpower is impressive. I assume they are much larger as well. I live in the midwest so my distributor choices are narrow and freight is a nonstarter unless I want to purchase large quantities and sit on them till I can install them. Don't think I could do that fast enough.

Thanks for the tip about taking a look at solar world LG and hyundai. they all look pretty good .should i use all three of them as needed for job requirements? Are there any other companies that are rock solid and make a great panel? Id rather stay clear of chinese but if they are controlling the market then i will have to get into the ring with them.
    thanks for the help with this large amount of data!!!!

best regards
    Ravenvalor
    Electrical Contractor
    Piedmont Region of NC

"Good day and good premises." (Ayn Rand)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenvalor View Post
    Thanks for the tip about taking a look at solar world LG and hyundai... Are there any other companies that are rock solid and make a great panel?
    Yes, there are.