4 story townhouse in a 8 unit building, can i just put a METER outside of each unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to take a job that other company start doing, they have a main breaker panel in each unit, a meter outside of every unit and all conduit runs to electric room and I have 8-2" conduits total one for every unit and 3-3" to Power company, right now all they did it was run conduits so I have no idea why they brought this to the electric room. plus plans just shows a meter outside the units, it doesn't show all the units meter conduit brought back to the electric room.

Question can every unit have a meter outside and a main breaker inside, and at the electrical room I can put a gutter and splice all the wires from Power company with Polaris tabs to the 8 units wires?

There is 8 townhouse in some of them and 6 in other buildings

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would like to know what the POCO wants, since the wiring to the meters will be theirs or under their control.
And if upstream of the service disconnect OCPD the wires should not be running any great distance inside the building

Buck Parrish

The disconnects must be grouped. Only six at one location . Otherwise you'd have to have one large disconnect. Are there any fire walls?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What is wrong with all the meters/ main breakers in the electric room and a sub panel in each unit . That is how it is done out here on the left coast.

What is wrong with all the meters/ main breakers in the electric room and a sub panel in each unit . That is how it is done out here on the left coast.

that's how I would do it, but im trying to figure out what they had in mind when they did the work, they ran all conduits to electric room than they got the pipe outside of every unit, and than it goes to the garage. so far plans shows a meter outside and main breaker panel

this is so far what I found:
I guess in my case Each unit gets a meter and a main breaker panel and probably POCO required a splice gutter at the electric room for the house panel and for them its easier less conduits are going to their secondary side of the transformer.

Does any one has done something like this before?

The terms "condominium" and "townhome" describe different occupancies determined by the architect or local building official. Townhouses will be classified as IRC-3. Condominiums (apartments) will be classified as R-2. Townhouses are permitted to have a service to each dwelling unit. Condominiums are built the same as apartments. The only difference is ownership for condominiums, rent for apartments.

Status
Not open for further replies.