GE GFCI Breaker question

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
What, if any, is the significance of the "5" and "10" on the test button on the GE GFCI breakers?
GE_gfci.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I use GE but I never noticed that but we don't use GFCI breakers very often. You could call ge if you need to know.

BTW why is the white wire so small that is landed on the gfci to the right- or is that an illusion

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
>I use GE but I never noticed that but we don't use GFCI breakers very often. You could call ge if you need to know.

Just curious, I noticed because there were two in the same panel with different numbers. At first I thought it was the
trip level in mA, but 10 mA is too high for a GFCI.

>BTW why is the white wire so small that is landed on the gfci to the right- or is that an illusion

It's #12 from 12-2 NM. It looks fine in the original photo. I cropped the original photo and then lowered the resolution.

Thanks

bphgravity

The number on the "Push To Test" button identifies the electronics board type and revision installed in the device. BTW: This model circuit breaker is no longer in production.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The number on the "Push To Test" button identifies the electronics board type and revision installed in the device. BTW: This model circuit breaker is no longer in production.

Excellent info! :)

Question, what do the numbers "G133&" indicate?

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
>does it trip when you press the test button?
I didn't test them.

I have four of them in my house, and they work when tested.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
does it trip when you press the test button?

most older GE units I run into don't.

hah, the test button is there for a reason, use them. one of my not-so-old Eaton afci's simply went hmmmmmmmm, poof.
bad breaker.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
How so? There have been various reported issues with AFCI breakers.

not sure what you mean. the test buttons are meant to be used, test the breaker once per month. my testing was like 2yrs after it was installed, i pressed all the buttons to make sure they trip properly, one didnt, made a internal short, and then smoke came out.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
not sure what you mean. the test buttons are meant to be used, test the breaker once per month. my testing was like 2yrs after it was installed, i pressed all the buttons to make sure they trip properly, one didnt, made a internal short, and then smoke came out.

:lol: Thats an AFCI breaker for you. I doubt any of these devices will be working in 20 years time.

AFCIs have been ferociously debated on this forum, many including me see them as a gimmick that does not do as claimed.

Johnnybob

Did you catch all the smoke? I've heard that if you can catch it all, and get it back in where it came from, it's all good. But, you have to capture all​ of it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.