Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Receptacles for RV's

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    I’ll be working on another campground expansion this year, I guess we’ll see what the manufacturer sends us. One would think that the product would be compliant (or see how they interpret it) whether that means gfi or not.
    Might be that pedestal manufacturers haven't caught up with code yet. When I first questioned this a while ago I was looking in online catalogs and wasn't finding any with GFCI's factory installed for the 30 or 50 amp receptacles, doesn't necessarily mean they don't have them and haven't updated the catalog yet.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

RV - Dwelling unit

Is a RV a dwelling unit?

Quote Originally Posted by lmchenry View Post
    Is a RV a dwelling unit?
    Per NEC and probably most if not all other NFPA documents, no.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Per NEC and probably most if not all other NFPA documents, no.
    I disagree. 90.2 says they're included in the scope of the NEC:

90.2 Scope.
    (A) Covered. This Code covers the installation and removal of electrical conductors, equipment, and raceways; signaling and communications conductors, equipment, and raceways; and optical fiber cables and raceways for the following:
    (1) Public and private premises, including buildings, structures, mobile homes, recreational vehicles, and floating buildings....
    And an RV would easily fit the NEC definition:

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    I disagree. 90.2 says they're included in the scope of the NEC:

And an RV would easily fit the NEC definition:
    Ok, I see what you are saying but I'm not conceding to what you mentioned just yet, I don't think it is quite that simple even if that is correct.

First lets look at a definition in 551.2

Recreational Vehicle.
    A vehicular-type unit primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use, which either has its own motive power or is mounted on or drawn by another vehicle.

Some general requirements for dwellings in chapters 1-4 don't necessarily apply to them either, in particular 210.52.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Ok, I see what you are saying but I'm not conceding to what you mentioned just yet, I don't think it is quite that simple even if that is correct.

First lets look at a definition in 551.2

Some general requirements for dwellings in chapters 1-4 don't necessarily apply to them either, in particular 210.52.
    There's nothing in the definition of a dwelling that excludes 'temporary' use. If so, 'vacation' houses would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    There's nothing in the definition of a dwelling that excludes 'temporary' use. If so, 'vacation' houses would be the same.
    I agree. RV's still don't have to meet all the same requirements that other applications that meet dwelling definition must meet. Neither does all mobile homes. I won't say RV's are not dwellings, but they are not a typical dwelling and not all of them meet the definition of dwelling either.

Let us pray...... please Lord, don't let this rule include 50a RV outlets,,,,,camping is supposed to be fun,,,, not stressful by having to worry about going to confession when we get back home for taking your name in vane whilst continually running outside to reset The GFI protected outlet on our camping trip... amen.

Jap>

I would expect a high level gfci on the 50 amp outlet..like 100ma or such... with a requirement of lower limits in the RVs... you still want some protection due to wet ground etc...
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    We installed a GFCI CB ahead of a 30 amp 120v receptacle last year. Worked well. Tripped the moment the snack trailer was plugged in. Mice, freezer, etc.
    Still, it was close to putting GFCI protection at the main breaker in a house. Work it one circuit at a time, although IIRC, they all had problems.
    Tom
    TBLO