User Tag List

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 108

Thread: Receptacles for RV's

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I install a 30 or 50 amp RV outlet somewhere other than an "RV Park", do I still have to GFI Protect it?

    JAP>

  2. #72
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Boyertown, PA, USA
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Most of these articles mention "RV Park" Receptacles.

    To me, the language still needs to be improved.

    Not all RV receptacle outlets are installed in "RV Parks".

    It would be best to refer to the RV Outlet itself, not a particular geographical area such as an "RV Park" if the rule doesn't apply to 30 and 50 amp outlets for RV's.

    JMHO.

    Jap>
    Article 551 applies to Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks. Their definitions and the definition of a "recreational vehicle site" are in that article.

    I've been pretty consistently stating the opinion that the language and definitions in the Code are often vague, or simply missing. There is substantial room for improvement. We have members here consistently of the opinion that lower articles are only modified by higher numbered articles if the higher numbered article specifically states an override or conflicting rule. Yet we apparently have states and in the case of my last link, a CMP member stating otherwise.

    It shouldn't be this difficult or unclear.

    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    If I install a 30 or 50 amp RV outlet somewhere other than an "RV Park", do I still have to GFI Protect it?

    JAP>
    Depends where somewhere is...

    - If a residence (dwelling unit), then 210.8(A) applies. So no GFCI protection on 30 and 50.

    - If an "other than dwelling unit" occupancy, such as a commercial garage, then 210.8(B) applies (with exceptions) and GFCI protection is required unless the exceptions apply.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post

    It shouldn't be this difficult or unclear.


    Hey,,,,, High 5 Craigv,,,,, I feel exactly the same way.


    JAP>

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    38,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
    Idaho is on 2017 statewide. This question apparently came up and was addressed.


    https://dbs.idaho.gov/programs/elect...ter_7-2017.pdf

    They agree with my opinion that if the intent was to require GFCI
    on 30 and 50 amp receptacles, 551.71(F) would have included this. The paragraph modifies 210.8(B) in their opinion.

    I'd be interested to find any other state opinions for or against.
    AHJ is certainly allowed to set their preference on something like this that isn't all that clear in the NEC. But IMO 551 does not mention anything except the 20 amp receptacles when it comes to GFCI protection, how does having "nothing" in 551 modify something from chapters 1-4?

    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    If I install a 30 or 50 amp RV outlet somewhere other than an "RV Park", do I still have to GFI Protect it?

    JAP>
    Per wording in 2017 - at a dwelling no, anyplace else and assuming outdoors, yes.

    Plug your 50 amp RV in at home and you won't experience shock hazards. Plug it in anywhere else and apparently you are subject to shock hazards
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    AHJ is certainly allowed to set their preference on something like this that isn't all that clear in the NEC. But IMO 551 does not mention anything except the 20 amp receptacles when it comes to GFCI protection, how does having "nothing" in 551 modify something from chapters 1-4?

    Per wording in 2017 - at a dwelling no, anyplace else and assuming outdoors, yes.

    Plug your 50 amp RV in at home and you won't experience shock hazards. Plug it in anywhere else and apparently you are subject to shock hazards
    I'm more likely to get electrocuted at home than I am at the camp site.
    That's where I wash my fifth wheel and do all the other maintenance on it.

    I would think the biggest shock hazard at the site would be when you go to unplug it from the pedestal.

    One tends to palm the male cap and your fingers wrap around and come close to the stabs as your working it out.
    .

    The newer rv male caps have a handles molded onto the back that you grab onto making this much less of an issue.

    Jap>

  6. #76
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Boyertown, PA, USA
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    AHJ is certainly allowed to set their preference on something like this that isn't all that clear in the NEC. But IMO 551 does not mention anything except the 20 amp receptacles when it comes to GFCI protection, how does having "nothing" in 551 modify something from chapters 1-4?
    That's a question for those AHJ's. If interested you could contact them and pose your position.

    It should be interesting to see whether 2020 closes the loopholes. GFCI protection on RV receptacles is a rather odd requirement. They *are* functionally feeders, just with plugs.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Boyertown, PA, USA
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    I'm more likely to get electrocuted at home than I am at the camp site.
    That's where I wash my fifth wheel and do all the other maintenance on it.

    I would think the biggest shock hazard at the site would be when you go to unplug it from the pedestal.

    One tends to palm the male cap and your fingers wrap around and come close to the stabs as your working it out.
    .

    The newer rv male caps have a handles molded onto the back that you grab onto making this much less of an issue.

    Jap>
    Just shut off the receptacle.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
    Just shut off the receptacle.
    Not all Power outlets have the breaker in the outlet itself.


    JAP>

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
    GFCI protection on RV receptacles is a rather odd requirement. They *are* functionally feeders, just with plugs.
    Could you not say that about anything that plugs into an outlet that has additional overcurrent protection inside of it as I mentioned before ?

    JAP>

  10. #80
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Boyertown, PA, USA
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Not all Power outlets have the breaker in the outlet itself.


    JAP>
    551.77(B) Disconnecting Means. A disconnecting switch or circuit breaker shall be provided in the site supply equipment for disconnecting the power supply to the recreational vehicle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •