heater in shower ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
You want to heat the air, not the water; correct?

How about a heat lamp? Will the customer go for that?
I will check with him. They are allowed? He wanted a forced air electric heater in the shower ceiling like his old house. The ones in the store specifically say do not use in showers.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Then tell him it was never a compliant install!

Heat lamp..... I wouldn't want that to rupture the glass if it would get sprayed with water.

edlee

The 1st, the Nutone, says it cannot be installed over a shower. The 2nd item , Broan bulb heaters, doesn't say anything about it one way or other but I would be surprised if they could be installed over a shower. The 3rd, the Progress, says it is damp-rated. So that precludes it being used above a shower, which is wet.

kwired

Electron manager
My take on this has always been to ask the owner where is the heater needed?

When you are in the shower - if you are cold turn the valve to make the water warmer.

It is when you step out of the shower is when you may want that heater to help warm you - so it goes outside the shower space.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
The 1st, the Nutone, says it cannot be installed over a shower. The 2nd item , Broan bulb heaters, doesn't say anything about it one way or other but I would be surprised if they could be installed over a shower. The 3rd, the Progress, says it is damp-rated. So that precludes it being used above a shower, which is wet.

I don't agree that a shower ceiling is necessarily a wet location. I don't find water on the ceiling of our bathroom after I take a shower.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Probably. Not directly a NEC code requiring it, but 110.3(B) will make GFCI protection required if mfr. instructions call for it.

Ahh, now thats why. Makes sense. Would this also force a 20amp circuit since its called for in the instructions despite the current rating only being 12.5 amps?

iwire

Staff member
I did not say I had a problem installing them, I just find that many times it is not really needed.

It is a waste of materiels and an additional unnecessary cost for the client at times.

They pick the appliances not me.

Just hard for me to worry about one extra circuit.

I am running three or four 20 amp circuits to run a total of 5 to 8 amps all the time.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
They pick the appliances not me.

Just hard for me to worry about one extra circuit.

I am running three or four 20 amp circuits to run a total of 5 to 8 amps all the time.

:happyno: Not me. You should see utility engineering btw (its a polar opposite) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.