Plug + EGC: was this ever OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was this ever code legal? I can't think of when it would have been but I haven't yet dived in to the relevant sections. I also haven't looked to see which plug is in use, I suspect its 2p + G with the G being reused as the N. There are several variations on a theme in this facility; this photo was convenient.

uglyplug.jpg
(Sometimes the green goes to a lug on the outside of the panel, sometimes to a lug inside.)

JFletcher

Even tho it looks electrically okay*, if it's anywhere near a floor it would be a trip hazard and a half. If they are ever unplugged the cable would be hanging by the ground wire; I can imagine a few of those breaking from repeated strain.

Also, afaik, the cable jacket has to go into a plug end. Why not just use 4 wire receptacles and the appropriate male plugs? Cost?

*provided no one plugs in eqpt that fits the receptacle but is wired differently than the receptacle.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Was this ever code legal? I can't think of when it would have been but I haven't yet dived in to the relevant sections. I also haven't looked to see which plug is in use, I suspect its 2p + G with the G being reused as the N. There are several variations on a theme in this facility; this photo was convenient.

View attachment 13793
(Sometimes the green goes to a lug on the outside of the panel, sometimes to a lug inside.)
I see nothing...I know nothing...

kwired

Electron manager
Everyone keeps talking about 4 wire cord, yet all I see is a black, white and a green.:?

I was sort of assuming it is a two wire plug/receptacle and they decided to land the green the way they did instead of just buying a three wire plug and receptacle. Guess the item supplied is still grounded if the cord cap pulls out:cool:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It may be an artifact of the photo, but I think anyone who is not red-green color blind will see some red in that area of the wiring. Only the OP can tell us for sure.

user 100

View attachment 13793

The closest "legal" setup to this that I can think of off hand might be the old two wire plug w/ an egc lead/spade that you connected to the faceplate screw on a 2 wire receptacle (provided the box was grounded to begin with) to bond an appliance or metal cased tool and I don't know if that would even be still listed as acceptable configuration (on top of being completely unnecessary today with the prevalence of 5-15 recs).

... but I think anyone who is not red-green color blind will see some red in that area of the wiring. Only the OP can tell us for sure.

I sure can... it's a 4-wire cable. Most of these connect to 6-circuit panels with 5-15 recept's; the sort of thing that we used as a spider box 30 years ago, and some of them look their age.

I'm going to look around the place for a few more examples today.

templdl

View attachment 13793

How about the receptacle, it looks as if It is a DIY. Hense, the plug and cord assembly. A Rube Goldberg?

Status
Not open for further replies.