Maximum number of lighting outlets on a circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volt-Amps

I am not sure if this is correct, but doesn't NEC limit the maximum number of lighting outlets on a single circuit to 15 outlets (fixtures)? I am not sure if this is a Chicago Building Code requirement or NEC, not sure if it's for normal lighting or emergency lighting. Can someone help please?

Thanx

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The NEC does not limit the number of light fixtures on a circuit. If the light is rated for a 150 watt bulb then you would use that rating however if you have LED cans where the wattage is 1/2 amp then you could have 30 or more lights on the circuit. Think of a 10 watt LED-- 100% power factor-- a 20 amp circuit is 2400 watts so you could have 240 lights on that circuit unless it is continuous load then you would only be able to have 190+ fixtures

iwire

Staff member
I am not sure if this is correct, but doesn't NEC limit the maximum number of lighting outlets on a single circuit to 15 outlets (fixtures)? I am not sure if this is a Chicago Building Code requirement or NEC, not sure if it's for normal lighting or emergency lighting. Can someone help please?

Thanx

Not at all, I did a commercial job that I could have put all 130 fixtures on one 20 amp 277 volt circuit. I ended up using two circuits anyway.

mgookin

One of my electrical plans examiners used to tell me there was a 50A max on a lighting circuit. He was a EE and worked for Philips in Europe for decades; sharp guy.

Is there an Article today to support that?

That's the only limit I ever heard of.

kwired

Electron manager
210.23 limits lighting circuits to 50 amps max, what it doesn't say is what types of luminaires are permitted on a 50 amp circuit. Seem to have trouble finding it, but somewhere there is limitations (15 and 20 amp I believe) that applies to linear type electric discharge lighting (typical fluorescent tubes), as well as limitations that generally apply to luminaires with medium base lampholders.

Most common luminaires permitted on 50 amp circuit will have mogul base lampholders - maybe some changes now that LED replacements for such luminaires are becoming more common - IDK.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You're probably looking for 410.62(C)(2)

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
You're probably looking for 410.62(C)(2)

Roger
I did look at that, and it is on the right track to what I was trying to point out, but does only apply to cord and plug connected luminaires.

I thought I was certain there was more of a general rule that limited all luminaires with medium base lampholders to 15 and 20 amp circuits as well as a general rule limiting all linear type fluorescent lighting to 15 and 20 amp circuits.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I thought I was certain there was more of a general rule that limited all luminaires with medium base lampholders to 15 and 20 amp circuits as well as a general rule limiting all linear type fluorescent lighting to 15 and 20 amp circuits.

Keep looking then.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Keep looking then.

Roger
OK, 210.21(A) is likely one section I was thinking of on the medium base lampholders, maybe not exactly what posted as requirement before but close enough.

Still looking for the linear fluorescent related section.

kwired

Electron manager
OK, 210.21(A) is likely one section I was thinking of on the medium base lampholders, maybe not exactly what posted as requirement before but close enough.

Still looking for the linear fluorescent related section.

Looking like there is no specific mentioning of linear fluorescent luminaires.

What I probably had on my mind that indirectly includes these type of luminaires is in 210.23 (B) and (C).

In order for lighting to be on a 30, 40 or 50 amp circuit it must have "heavy duty lampholders" according to these sections.

I know this topic has come up here before on whether or not a typical linear fluorescent luminaire has "heavy duty lampholders", and if they can be on other then a 15 or 20 amp circuit. Seems to me most must not think they can be or else you would have seen 30-50 amp circuits in some of those retail stores that have had row after row of fluorescent lighting yet all are on 15 or 20 amp circuits. I have never seen those on over 20 amp circuits though.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I did look at that, and it is on the right track to what I was trying to point out, but does only apply to cord and plug connected luminaires.
Ok, go back and look at 410.62(C)(2) again, 410.62(C)(1) is for cord and plug connected luminaires, 410.62(C)(3) is for any Electric Discharge or LED with Mogul Base or Screw Shell lamp holders connected by cord and plug.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Disregard my post above, I see what you are saying and agree.

Roger

Volt-Amps

Thank you all

Thank you all

Thank you for your input. I take it there is no limitation on the maximum number of lighting outlets on a circuit, even for emergency circuits.
Could this be a requirement in the IBC or local codes like Chicago, New York, etc.? I will check those codes to see, if I see anything, I will post.

Thanks again!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Thank you for your input. I take it there is no limitation on the maximum number of lighting outlets on a circuit, even for emergency circuits.
Could this be a requirement in the IBC or local codes like Chicago, New York, etc.? I will check those codes to see, if I see anything, I will post.

Thanks again!

There is a limit it is based on load.

Status
Not open for further replies.