User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TEFC motors in Class I, Divison 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyo721 View Post
    The motor has to be listed for the environment they are used in, the Code may not specifically reference this but MSHA has a section in CFR 30 for motors, in order to considered explosion proof. Common sense is you can not install a motor that can create a hazard in the environment they are installed in, simple enough, the listing has to match the classification it is used. Non-Classified motors should not be used in classified locations unless they are listed an tested for that area. My 2 cents worth.
    If you have some other standard that applies then it depends on what that standard says. The NEC section (OP posted 510.125, but probably a typing error as it is 501.125 and it even allows open type motors as long as the don't have any arcing components or surfaces that normally will exceed ignition temperatures.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The motor has to be listed for the environment they are used in, the Code may not specifically reference this but MSHA has a section in CFR 30 for motors, in order to considered explosion proof. Common sense is you can not install a motor that can create a hazard in the environment they are installed in, simple enough, the listing has to match the classification it is used. Non-Classified motors should not be used in classified locations unless they are listed an tested for that area. My 2 cents worth.
    Class I, Division 2 does not require explosion proof equipment unless that equipment has arcing contacts. A 3 phase motor does not have arcing contacts.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen a motor that is listed for Class I, Division 2? They do exist, but didn’t until about 15 years ago. MSHA is rightfully concerned about Class II motors, no matter what the Division - but so is everyone else.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    Class I, Division 2 does not require explosion proof equipment unless that equipment has arcing contacts. A 3 phase motor does not have arcing contacts.
    This is what the 2017 NEC says.

501.125 Motors and Generators.
    (B) Class I, Division 2. In Class I, Division 2 locations, motors,
    generators, and other rotating electrical machinery shall
    comply with (1), (2), or (3)
    . They shall also comply with
    (4) and (5), if applicable.
    (1) Be identified for Class I, Division 2 locations, or
    (2) Be identified for Class I, Division 1 locations where sliding
    contacts, centrifugal or other types of switching mechanism
    (including motor overcurrent, overloading, and
    overtemperature devices), or integral resistance devices,
    either while starting or while running, are employed, or
    (3) Be open or nonexplosionproof enclosed motors, such as
    squirrel-cage induction motors without brushes, switching
    mechanisms, or similar arc-producing devices that are not
    identified for use in a Class I, Division 2 location.
    the code specifically allows the use of either open or enclosed motors that don't have arc producing devices. It does not get much clearer than that.
    Bob