Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEFC motors in Class I, Divison 2

TEFC motors in Class I, Divison 2

I always thought that the code language in 510.125(B)(3) was clear that you could use a TEFC motor in that classification. (with attention to the ignition temperature of the products involved and the operating temperature of the motor)

I was at a presentation from a GE application engineer yesterday, and his position is that any motor used in that classification must be specifically approved by the motor manufacturer for that use.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    I always thought that the code language in 510.125(B)(3) was clear that you could use a TEFC motor in that classification. (with attention to the ignition temperature of the products involved and the operating temperature of the motor)

I was at a presentation from a GE application engineer yesterday, and his position is that any motor used in that classification must be specifically approved by the motor manufacturer for that use.
    And what did he base that on? It sure ain't Code language.
    Last edited by rbalex; 06-22-18 at 09:32 PM.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Basically GE is the only member of the NEMA MG-1 Group to get their motors listed for Class I, Division 2. When they did it with switchgear years ago, OSHA enforced it. They seem to be hoping for a repeat.
    "Bob"

I just got off the phone with an old CMP14 buddy. He is still on the Panel. He threw a flag on the GE story. It ain’t true now and won’t be in 2020 either.
    "Bob"

<message deleted>

Thanks Bob.
    I sent a note to the presenter with the code language and he was going to send it on their engineering group. His comment, was just that that motors are not suitable for used in that classification unless they are specifically marked as such. He gave nothing technical to back it up.

Maybe their listing is the reason is the reason he said that.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Thanks Bob.
    I sent a note to the presenter with the code language and he was going to send it on their engineering group. His comment, was just that that motors are not suitable for used in that classification unless they are specifically marked as such. He gave nothing technical to back it up.

Simple solution, tell him you won't be using GE motors for such applications
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Thanks Bob.

You're welcome. I actually just discussed this recently in this thread beginning in Post #19. The only valid "marking" required is detailed in Section 430.7(A)(5).
    "Bob"

TEFC Motor are not listed for the C!D1 or C1d2

The motor has to be listed for the environment they are used in, the Code may not specifically reference this but MSHA has a section in CFR 30 for motors, in order to considered explosion proof. Common sense is you can not install a motor that can create a hazard in the environment they are installed in, simple enough, the listing has to match the classification it is used. Non-Classified motors should not be used in classified locations unless they are listed an tested for that area. My 2 cents worth.

As long as you don't have a centrifugal switch that can arc, internal overloads that can arc, or motor space heater leads that exceed 80% of the lowest AIT, common sense tells me that the motor would not be an ignition source.