Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First draft of the 2020 NEC has been posted and is open for comments

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    Quack, Quack ...I have to agree. The comment process seems like a waste of time. Submitted public inputs only to have the CMP write there own version of what they think is best. It doesn't appear that the PUBLIC has much say in the process.
    Even worse was that the review of the PIs was done by small task groups within the CMP that do not have the diversity of the full CMP. On most panels the other members just "rubber stamped" the work of task groups that they were not part of.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

While the process to submit comments on a failed PI is cumbersome, the process to submit a comment on an accepted change is fairly straight forward. The pubic comment perious ends at the end of the day on August 30th.
    Don, Illinois

So did the full AFCI expansion make it through? I read CMP-2's draft and saw it in there, but was wondering if it's going to be in the '20 code.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    So did the full AFCI expansion make it through? I read CMP-2's draft and saw it in there, but was wondering if it's going to be in the '20 code.
    The first revision report has no changes for dwelling unit AFCIs. There are major changes in the GFCI requirements. Go to nfpa.org/70, click on next edition and then on First Revision. You can see all of the changes in legislative format (strike through for deletions and underline for new). The one you see when you click on "submit a pubic comment", only has the new code with no indications as to what may have changed.

You have a bit over 24 hours to make a comment...comments close at midnight eastern on the 30th.
    Don, Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    The first revision report has no changes for dwelling unit AFCIs. There are major changes in the GFCI requirements. Go to nfpa.org/70, click on next edition and then on First Revision. You can see all of the changes in legislative format (strike through for deletions and underline for new). The one you see when you click on "submit a pubic comment", only has the new code with no indications as to what may have changed.

You have a bit over 24 hours to make a comment...comments close at midnight eastern on the 30th.
    Do you know what the changes are? At least the big ones?
    I'm in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    They now say that only you personally are required to AFCI protect every circuit you touch for the rest of your life. The rest of us are exempt....
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    One of the biggest is the rework of 250.122....if it makes it through the process. In the first revision, the size of the EGC is based on the size of the ungrounded conductor and not on the rating of the overcurrent protective device. The eliminates the troublesome 250.122(B) rule.
    Don, Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    They now say that only you personally are required to AFCI protect every circuit you touch for the rest of your life. The rest of us are exempt....

Do you really believe they will get me to comply?
    I'm in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    One of the biggest is the rework of 250.122....if it makes it through the process. In the first revision, the size of the EGC is based on the size of the ungrounded conductor and not on the rating of the overcurrent protective device. The eliminates the troublesome 250.122(B) rule.
    Well, if it goes through- I will order a cake, filet-mignonette, shrimp, $$$ wine, invite a few friends over and throw myself a huge party. I've been waiting for that change for a long time. Makes a lot more sense then all the individual rules thrown about.
    I'm in over my head...