Article 501 Area classification question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tison

I am presently preparing to get a Class one Div one certification on the electrical componets that I am building
for my company. I presently have a Class One Div two certification. I work within the oil and gas industry mid stream,
down stream and soon the upstream application with our new products.

My question is this- If I have a Class1Div1 certification on all of the electrical componets I will use for the new product
I will be installing to the clients oil and gas sites, and that they are intrinsically safe. Do I have to install them in a explosion
proof Juction box or may I just use a NEMA 3R juction box?

I need this interpretation of NEC 501 and supporting comments and referances in writing to support my new concept equipment.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am presently preparing to get a Class one Div one certification on the electrical componets that I am building
for my company. I presently have a Class One Div two certification. I work within the oil and gas industry mid stream,

My question is this- If I have a Class1Div1 certification on all of the electrical componets I will use for the new product
I will be installing to the clients oil and gas sites, and that they are intrinsically safe. Do I have to install them in a explosion

I need this interpretation of NEC 501 and supporting comments and referances in writing to support my new concept equipment.
You need to start with Article 504. You will find Intrinsic Safety is far more complex than you seem to imagine.

IF everything is intrinsically safe THEN except for certain bonding requirements, Article 501 and "Class1Div1 [sic] certification" doesn't generally apply.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I would be curious to know what you mean by Class1Div1 "certification". As far as I know there is no such thing.

If you want to list an assembly or components as meeting CID1 or CID2 requirements, UL has a listing program for that. If you want to meet the listing requirements, you have to follow the rules in the UL requirements for that listing and submit to UL supervision.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I would be curious to know what you mean by Class1Div1 "certification". As far as I know there is no such thing.

If you want to list an assembly or components as meeting CID1 or CID2 requirements, UL has a listing program for that. If you want to meet the listing requirements, you have to follow the rules in the UL requirements for that listing and submit to UL supervision.
I considered that myself, but he claimed he has "Class I, Division 2 certification" and I figured he was already at least somewhat familiar with process. What was obvious was he wasn't familiar enough with intrinsic safety since Article 501 doesn't speak about it at all. I suspect he will be in for several surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.