Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAL FIRE Guideline outside California

CAL FIRE Guideline outside California

Do any other states have statewide standards for how to lay out setbacks and access paths on rooftop solar arrays? If so, where could one find them? Is there any imminent possibility of the California rules becoming a national standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Carultch View Post
    Do any other states have statewide standards for how to lay out setbacks and access paths on rooftop solar arrays? If so, where could one find them? Is there any imminent possibility of the California rules becoming a national standard?
    You would have to check with the AHJ for the area that you are looking at. A number of areas have rules like that for firefighter access. In my opinion, all areas should have such rules.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by Carultch View Post
    In Texas it isn't statewide but local AHJ's choose whether or not to enforce fire code, and then commercial PV is looked at differently from residential PV. Virtually all if not all Texas AHj's enforce fire code (actually I think it's part of building code) on commercial systems but only about 20% do for resi systems.

Funny you should ask now, since the CA code is going to change majorly in two days.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Funny you should ask now, since the CA code is going to change majorly in two days.
    I don't install normally PV systems but just posted a thread about installing a system for myself. Can you share what the major changes are or provide a link.

I'm currently planning minimum 3' from the ridge and 3' paths on both sides of the array. I will only have panels on 1 side of a valley so don't need to comply with the 18" clearance.

Thanks
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

I think it is the new section R324.6 in the CRC (Title 24, part 2.5), available here: http://www.bsc.ca.gov/Codes.aspx

Cheers, Wayne

Not so fast. Just meetings and public comment thru Aug.
    code effective date Jan 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    I don't install normally PV systems but just posted a thread about installing a system for myself. Can you share what the major changes are or provide a link.

I'm currently planning minimum 3' from the ridge and 3' paths on both sides of the array. I will only have panels on 1 side of a valley so don't need to comply with the 18" clearance.
    Biggest change is only 18" required from the ridge, if your not using more than a third of the roof. Generally more flexibility is allowed on the placement of pathways, except that now one must be streetside. You still need at least two overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    Not so fast. Just meetings and public comment thru Aug.
    code effective date Jan 2020.
    Nope. There are a supplements that go into effect on Sunday.
    Last edited by jaggedben; 06-29-18 at 09:56 PM.

Biggest change is only 18" required from the ridge, if your not using more than a third of the roof. Generally more flexibility is allowed on the placement of pathways, except that now one must be streetside. You still need at least two overall.

Nope. There are a supplements that go into effect on Sunday.
    So it is. I missed that.
    I don't get what was changed to 210.**