Thread: greenfield whips

greenfield whips

I just had an inspector cite us for the use of greenfield whips for connecting 6" cans in a remodeled wine cellar. Each whip was much less than six feet and were used because piping would of been very difficult. His issue was the "daisy chaining". We used a grounded conductor in each one but doesnt matter. We have to redo whole ceiling. General contractor is not happy. Where is this in the code? This job is in suburban Chicago operating from NEC2011

Quote Originally Posted by forcebjj View Post
    I just had an inspector cite us for the use of greenfield whips for connecting 6" cans in a remodeled wine cellar. Each whip was much less than six feet and were used because piping would of been very difficult. His issue was the "daisy chaining". We used a grounded conductor in each one but doesnt matter. We have to redo whole ceiling. General contractor is not happy. Where is this in the code? This job is in suburban Chicago operating from NEC2011
    What size FMC and what size of conductors did you use?

3/8 flex can be used in up to 6 foot lengths for "fixture taps", but such installation would have to have an individual drop from junction box(es) to each luminaire and not run from luminaire to luminaire.

You can run 1/2 inch or larger FMC with properly protected conductors 14 AWG or larger in the manner you mentioned - if you also pull an EGC in the raceway.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

1/2" flex with full-sized (for the circuit) conductors is equivalent to 1/2" EMT with the same sized conductors, as long as you secure according to the rules,and there is no problem daisy-chaining with it. I believe the forum will agree that the inspector is wrong, and you should definitely appeal/challenge his decision.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

I agree with Larry however, I see you're in Chicago and they have their own code, might this be where the inspector is coming from?

Roger

greenfield whips

thank you for your responses, the whips were in 3/8. however he made no mention of size which we would of happily replace. He simply said no daisy chaining in flex all hard pipe. It is a mute issue the whole ceiling is being dropped as we speak. the authority having juristiction has spoken. The client is not happy now the ceiling will be 10" lower

Many years ago we had an EC from Chicago post pictures of his residential rough-ins, all with EMT. The only place he used Greenfield was for the porch light outside the front door because it was to be a cut-in box. I remember a room with recessed lighting, I don't think he had a problem.

-Hal