Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grinder Pump Float Signal wire type and gauge

Grinder Pump Float Signal wire type and gauge

Have to wire a Meyer grinder located in an outdoor holding tank located 125 feet from panel/alarm inside the residence.

I'll be feeding the signal wires through 3/4" T&B Smurf conduit. Just wondering the type and gauge wire I need to source for to carry the signals the 125 foot distance from the outdoor grinder to the indoor panel/alarm station. As far as the grinder power, the 2 HP grinder will be fed off a subpanel appropriately fed from the house's main panel. No question(s) regarding that part of the install.

All I've ever seen are float switches that can be either LV or 120v. Really no current involved so I see no reason you can't use THWN of a size determined by whatever the OCP is for the control circuit, if any.

-Hal

do you have any info on the control panel? mfg/model/pn etc
    most I have seen are 120 but only drive a relay (which drives the contactor)

Correct. The control panel instructions should have all the information you need.

-Hal

If the floats are intrinsically safe you might need a shielded wire. Been a while since I have done one.

Grinder pump signal wire gauge

It is a Simplex panel. Will get the model # tomorrow as it's 300 miles north of my location today. I'm still concerned about "crosstalk" between the single phase 220 and the signal wires (9 of them I believe), in a 1" PVC conduit over a distance of 125'. Grinder is a 2 HP Meyers. I will have 3 floats and the thermal wires and one other signal wire and perhaps a spare. Was thinking if high voltage, then #12 would suffice for signal wires. Power will be tapped off subpanel 35 feet away, so I believe #12 would suffice to power grinder pump.

Are you pumping sewage?

Quote Originally Posted by Russs57 View Post
    Are you pumping sewage?
    I can’t imaging another use for a grinder pump...
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

If he is, he will need explosion proof seals so methane gas doesn’t travel up conduits. Nobody mentioned so I wasn’t assuming.

Put the thermal wiring with pump wiring and all the float switches in another raceway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jons View Post
    It is a Simplex panel. Will get the model # tomorrow as it's 300 miles north of my location today. I'm still concerned about "crosstalk" between the single phase 220 and the signal wires (9 of them I believe), in a 1" PVC conduit over a distance of 125'. Grinder is a 2 HP Meyers. I will have 3 floats and the thermal wires and one other signal wire and perhaps a spare. Was thinking if high voltage, then #12 would suffice for signal wires. Power will be tapped off subpanel 35 feet away, so I believe #12 would suffice to power grinder pump.
    Why do you think they are "signal" wires? Thermal wires? You mean power for heat tape?

-Hal