Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UL Listed Terminal Blocks

I'm just not sure why I'd use those over Buchanan splices or wire nuts in any case, even if they were properly rated for the voltage. Not sure what would make them superior. The Buchanan splice requires a tool and takes a little more time but produces an almost infallible connection. The Wagos are basically a back-stab design, right? I've seen a lot of complaints about that sort of thing. And I assume they're more expensive than wire nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    I'm just not sure why I'd use those over Buchanan splices or wire nuts in any case, even if they were properly rated for the voltage. Not sure what would make them superior. The Buchanan splice requires a tool and takes a little more time but produces an almost infallible connection. The Wagos are basically a back-stab design, right? I've seen a lot of complaints about that sort of thing. And I assume they're more expensive than wire nuts.
    My entire neighborhood was wired with back stabbed outlets and all of those are going out after 30 years. If you have more than 2 strings you are supposed to fuse them anyways. A Sola deck box with a din rail and a few fuse holders and fuses work really nice for transitioning a resi RM. I will typically use the Buchanan splices for the grounds to make an irreversible crimp and red wire nuts for the home runs. I mainly install Solaredge for Resi Roofmounts.

Wago makes a connector that is essentially a back-stab unit, but this is not the one I am looking at. The Wago model 221 lever connectors can be opened and closed with a lever, and it appears that they put substantially more pressure on the conductor than a back-stab connector would. I am still waiting for the sample I ordered to be delivered. I am not going to consider using them unless they make a splice that appears comparable to the heavy duty terminal blocks we use currently. And of course, I need to confirm if they are rated for the voltage.

I use the WAGo lever connectors here in the UK for lighting and outlets.. much easier to use, no problems with the 240 voltage and allows me to pull the connection apart for the testing requirements for rental units. So far have had no problems, even with the cheaper chinese units. Prefer the nice heavy clear wago over the grey wago, levers easier to use, feel better... but both work.