Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 400 amp service grounding

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Why can't I use an approved raceway as the fault path at a service? Bonding to the neutral is one option but I believe bonding jumpers or raceways are acceptable as well. Consider a metal pull box, them RGS raceway, then bonded panelboard. Couldn't the RGS bond the box?
    On supply side of service disconnect, every enclosure will have a bond to the grounded conductor - any raceways between them just need something more then standard locknut to assure they are bonded, and only need bonded in one place. You could even put a pipe bonding clamp on it outside the box and bond it via that if you wanted - many seem to think bonding bushings are the only way to do this.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    On supply side of service disconnect, every enclosure will have a bond to the grounded conductor
    But not necessarily "directly" to the grounded conductor. Wire binding Jumpers and raceways are allowed. If I use a raceway, I need service bonding on both ends, IMO.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    But not necessarily "directly" to the grounded conductor
    Service equipment has to have a direct connection to the grounded conductor.
    Wire binding Jumpers and raceways are allowed. If I use a raceway, I need service bonding on both ends, IMO.
    That is not correct, one end of the raceway is all that needs an extra connection beyond a lock ring.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by rojay View Post
    So then the only time the NEC would require bonding at both ends of a service raceway would be in the case of concentric/eccentric ko’s at both ends?
    Only required if the service raceway contains a grounding electrode conductor, to be bonded at each end.
    For con/ecc KOs only one end of the raceway is bonded, to provide a fault current return path to the source.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Service equipment has to have a direct connection to the grounded conductor.
    I am not seeing such a requirement anywhere. Could you cite a code section that prohibits use of bonding jumpers and raceways to bond a service enclosure?

"You can't generalize"

I am not seeing such a requirement anywhere. Could you cite a code section that prohibits use of bonding jumpers and raceways to bond a service enclosure?
    250.80 is vague enough I guess one can interpret it that way.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    It's all part of that suitable for use as service equipment thing.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    It's all part of that suitable for use as service equipment thing.
    I think what you are thinking of has to do with equipment where there is a service disconnect which would require a MBJ, grounded conductor brought to service equipment, etc. Consider a metal pull box or wireway.

"You can't generalize"

I think what you are thinking of has to do with equipment where there is a service disconnect which would require a MBJ, grounded conductor brought to service equipment, etc. Consider a metal pull box or wireway.
    I have always bonded them to the grounded conductor when it is service conductors - but I suppose you could rely on a metal raceway as long as it isn't solely depending on a standard locknut for that bonding path.