User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the receptacle install come free with the TV?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    I've had that and one worse. Lady told me the pool salesman told her only $100 for her pool!
    Sure it will. A 100 foot extension cord from HD.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    No, they shouldn't.
    I agree. And I liked the comment about getting the salesman to do it.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was at a guys house for something else so just added i think it was a buck and a half for that. mighta been a hundie. but i wouldnt go out there and do for less than 1hr min, including the travel time to and from so at least 150. its a quickie job but i still have an hour minimum which drive time eats most of. then again, 150 would barely cover that if you put in a $25 AFCI outlet for those like we are required to do here. and it's only quick and easy of course if you go straight up from an existing outlet
    The End of the World as i Knew it: 2012. I'm having my Doom's Day now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
    Give a price on wiring a hot tub. They loose their mind. The salesman said it would only cost about $100.00. Well, get the salesman to wire it.
    This happens all the time to me.

And when I tell them it may be about 2500 to wire up their tub. Saying that’s more than the tub.
    Last edited by infinity; 07-10-18 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Please Watch the Language

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not unusual for us to charge more for engineering for a small project than the parts cost. Customers decide they want to supply the parts to "save" money, so I tell them go ahead. I don't care who supplies the parts. especially for parts that are being field installed.
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Customers decide they want to supply the parts to "save" money, so I tell them go ahead. I don't care who supplies the parts. especially for parts that are being field installed.
    If a client says that want to supply the parts, I say "fine, I don't make any money on the parts. But I do make money using my knowledge to design your project so if you need a parts list, or have questions about what to buy I have to charge you an hourly consulting fee."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had quite a few customers want to provide parts to “save money” so I take off the amount I pay for the parts. It’s usually a lot less than they can get them for at the Home Depot or Lowe’s. Then they are like “why so little off?” Because I get parts way cheaper than you can get them and don’t make much if any on them. I just take my basic book cost for a job and then minus the parts cost. The next times they use me, they never ask to provide parts again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
    Give a price on wiring a hot tub. They loose their mind. The salesman said it would only cost about $100.00. Well, get the salesman to wire it.
    And... they’ll keep getting prices until they find someone to do the work for that amount, qualified or not !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I got a call from a lady who wants a crystal chandelier hung. I figure its heavy, delicate, probably has lot of little crystals to individually hang. Not very heavy and a 12 foot ceiling she says. I quote $250 which she immediately thinks is too much and says she will get other prices.

Today she calls back. Apparently she got other prices and they were more than me so she is more interested in my services now. But, she says, she wants two people to hang it because it's heavy, delicate, and costs a lot of money. "Well", I said,"then I'll have to charge you more." "Why?" "Because both guys want to be paid. Two guys is more expensive than one." She was having a hard time understanding this concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I quote $250 which she immediately thinks is too much .But, she says, she wants two people to hang it because it's heavy, delicate, and costs a lot of money. "Well", I said,"then I'll have to charge you more." "Why?" "Because both guys want to be paid. Two guys is more expensive than one." She was having a hard time understanding this concept.
    What gets me is that the people that can afford to buy an expensive chandelier are the very people that will complain about the cost of installation.

Actually $250 is cheap to install a real chandelier .
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.