Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the receptacle install come free with the TV?

Should the receptacle install come free with the TV?

Recently I have been called several times for installing receptacles behind wall-mounted flat screen TV's. I gave them each the price and each thought the job too expensive and declined. I have the same issue with ceiling fan replacements.

I calculate the price of every job I do the same way: trip charge + (estimated labor hours x labor rate) + (material cost x markup) + (rental costs x markup). I have no problem booking most jobs using this formula, but for some reason people think that hanging a ceiling fan or installing an outlet behind a TV should be much less expensive. I actually had one lady say "That's more than I paid for the fan!" Apples and oranges. Guess I should have told her not to buy cheap fans.

No, they shouldn't.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Give a price on wiring a hot tub. They loose their mind. The salesman said it would only cost about $100.00. Well, get the salesman to wire it.
    Organized people are people that are just too lazy to look for their stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
    Well, get the salesman to wire it.
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
    Give a price on wiring a hot tub. They loose their mind. The salesman said it would only cost about $100.00. Well, get the salesman to wire it.
    I've had that and one worse. Lady told me the pool salesman told her only $100 for her pool!
    Granted it was an above ground but length of run, difficulty in getting power out of the house, bonding, permits, etc. $100 wouldn't even cover the material or permits.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Saying that stuff makes it easier to secure the sale.
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    for some reason people think that hanging a ceiling fan or installing an outlet behind a TV should be much less expensive.
    I have always thought that dental work was to expensive, it's not like they are real doctors.

Don't get bent out of shape folks I was only joking.

It seems that what you think something should cost and what you end up paying can be much different.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Recently I have been called several times for installing receptacles behind wall-mounted flat screen TV's. I gave them each the price and each thought the job too expensive and declined. I have the same issue with ceiling fan replacements.

I calculate the price of every job I do the same way: trip charge + (estimated labor hours x labor rate) + (material cost x markup) + (rental costs x markup). I have no problem booking most jobs using this formula, but for some reason people think that hanging a ceiling fan or installing an outlet behind a TV should be much less expensive. I actually had one lady say "That's more than I paid for the fan!" Apples and oranges. Guess I should have told her not to buy cheap fans.
    Your method is sound. People are disillusioned as to what an installation should actually cost. As Larry pointed out they're usually given a low ball price by the salesman who sold them the product. If they actually told them that the $300 TV will cost $500 to install it on the wall there they want it they wouldn't buy it.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Dental work is too expensive because dentists have effective marketing.
    They're sensitive to the charges and they have implemented a propaganda push to let people know that they are real doctors.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...dicine/518979/

I had an abscess in the back of my lower teeth a few years ago. My dentist takes x-rays and says to go see the oral surgeon because he doesn't do extractions and I had an impacted wisdom tooth. (So I affectionately call the oral surgeon "Dr. Yankem'" because every time I need a tooth pulled that's where I have to go.) Dr. Yankem' takes a look and gets out his scalpel. He says you're in luck because as soon as I use my scalpel your medical insurance takes over. So I told him to have at it!

-Hal