Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For you old timers out there

For you old timers out there

What the heck is this thing see it alot

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old telephone block/protector. The incoming line is on the bottom the out going wires have been disconnected. The #10 solid typically goes to the water pipe in old installations.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

A mid-century "demarc". This lightning arrester was the demarcation point between the incoming Plain Old Telephone Service from the phone company, and the lines inside the building.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    A mid-century "demarc". This lightning arrester was the demarcation point between the incoming Plain Old Telephone Service from the phone company, and the lines inside the building.
    I agree about the lightning arrester, but not the "damarc". The phone company used to own all the phone stuff in your house, phone included, which was rented from the phone company.

"Prior to the Bell System divestiture on January 1, 1984, American Telephone & Telegraph Company (AT&T) through its Bell System companies held a natural monopoly for telephone service within the United States and Canada. AT&T owned the local loop, including the telephone wiring within the customer premises and the customer telephone equipment. A similar arrangement existed with smaller, regional telephone companies such as GTE."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demarcation_point
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    I agree about the lightning arrester, but not the "damarc".
    I think this is a matter of what one is talking about. At the time of original installation, the contemporary meaning of "demarcation" didn't exist for the exact reasons you supply.

However, after the breakup of the monopolies, the same old lightning arrestor shown in the OP photo IS the demarcation point. That's about three decades, by now.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    I think this is a matter of what one is talking about. At the time of original installation, the contemporary meaning of "demarcation" didn't exist for the exact reasons you supply.

However, after the breakup of the monopolies, the same old lightning arrestor shown in the OP photo IS the demarcation point. That's about three decades, by now.
    The telcos around here have been using NID's for at least three decades, I don't think I have ever seen a working telephone connected to an old time spark arrestor. I had one in an old house (built 1913), but it wasn't connected. If the home has an NID, that is the damarc point, even if the arrestor is still connected. Maybe for a short time after 1984 there were some phones with no NID and thus the arrestor would be the demarc, but I doubt there are any still like that.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

No such thing as a demarc back then, Bell System owned everything from the central office to the phone and would cut your hands off if you messed with any of it.

Can't remember the number of that 1 pair protector, it has carbons in the center compartment for over-voltage protection and those red "rods" on either side are fuses.

Matter of fact it was not too long ago that I dumped my stock of those fuses. They were also used in apartment house terminals, probably still there where copper is still used.

-Hal

We really are anal. Just saying.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    No such thing as a demarc back then, Bell System owned everything from the central office to the phone and would cut your hands off if you messed with any of it.

Can't remember the number of that 1 pair protector, it has carbons in the center compartment for over-voltage protection and those red "rods" on either side are fuses.

Matter of fact it was not too long ago that I dumped my stock of those fuses. They were also used in apartment house terminals, probably still there where copper is still used.

-Hal
    I remember too that if you "boot legged" in an extension phone you would disconnect the ringer. Ma Bell would apparently routinely measure the line resistance and they could tell if you had illegal extensions due to the ring coil.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Delle View Post
    I remember too that if you "boot legged" in an extension phone you would disconnect the ringer. Ma Bell would apparently routinely measure the line resistance and they could tell if you had illegal extensions due to the ring coil.
    Ma Bell also did not publicize it when whatever changed that allowed third party manufactured phones to be connected to their system. They happily collected the rental fees for their equipment until you figured out you could buy your own phone and give theirs back to them. For some folks it was years.