Ansul system and gas solinoid with range hood control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyha

we have 2 range hood control panels in same commercial kitchen. each controlling separate exhaust fans and MAU's. we have a separate ansul system on each with its own microswitch. however theres only one gas solenoid for whole kitchen. first question:I know where to land on ansul microswitch from control panel., does the system activate upon loss of power to microswitch or upon power to microswitch. second question: one solenoid with 2 control panels needing to shut off gas upon activation of either one. does the solenoid require 120v to let gas flow because I can just set a definite purpose contactor between the the separate ckts from different panels one holding the coild of the other so if either was activated solenoid would close

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
we have 2 range hood control panels in same commercial kitchen. each controlling separate exhaust fans and MAU's. we have a separate ansul system on each with its own microswitch. however theres only one gas solenoid for whole kitchen. first question:I know where to land on ansul microswitch from control panel., does the system activate upon loss of power to microswitch or upon power to microswitch. second question: one solenoid with 2 control panels needing to shut off gas upon activation of either one. does the solenoid require 120v to let gas flow because I can just set a definite purpose contactor between the the separate ckts from different panels one holding the coild of the other so if either was activated solenoid would close

The system activates when the micro switch OPENS to remove 120VAC power. There is also a manual reset relay box that prevents the solenoid from reenergizing when the control head is reset. You can wire the micro switches in series to force the gas valve off when either system is activated. Don't bypass the manual reset relay box or the suppression systems' UL listing will be voided.

templdl

You may want to give this a second thought. I would be concerned with assuming any liability as a result of a failure.
You should go by a wiring diagram to be provided to you which you would apply.
Again, I certainly would be concerned about any liability.

kwired

Electron manager
You may want to give this a second thought. I would be concerned with assuming any liability as a result of a failure.
You should go by a wiring diagram to be provided to you which you would apply.
Again, I certainly would be concerned about any liability.
What are chances of that wiring diagram showing how to connect two systems to one common gas valve?

OP may either need to add additional contacts to the system if designed and place them both in series to control the gas valve, or it that is not an option each system may need to drive their own "output relay" which you then can run the gas valve circuit in series through both.

This is if you only want to shut down the gas valve but leave remaining controlled components of the other system active, if it is acceptable to shut down both systems when either fails it should get easier, just series output contacts of both units and shut down everything upon either system activating.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What are chances of that wiring diagram showing how to connect two systems to one common gas valve?

OP may either need to add additional contacts to the system if designed and place them both in series to control the gas valve, or it that is not an option each system may need to drive their own "output relay" which you then can run the gas valve circuit in series through both.

This is if you only want to shut down the gas valve but leave remaining controlled components of the other system active, if it is acceptable to shut down both systems when either fails it should get easier, just series output contacts of both units and shut down everything upon either system activating.

With only one gas valve, that's the only way to do it. The OP can have the Ansul tech copy him the page in the manual showing the hook up of the gas solenoid and all should be clear. You're only other option is to interlock the control heads so that when one system activates the other does as well. Not an ideal solution as you wind up with twice the clean up mess as necessary.

tyha

this is what I was assuming. the only drawing I get concerning wiring the control panels is inside the control panels and they are pretty generic other than the 2 different range hood ex fans they control they shut down. so am I understanding you that you agree wiring one gas output from one control panel to hold a coil on the other feeding the actual gas valve would be sufficient. its the same room they are just 2 different rows of equipment and hoods. all the equipment is mostly gas fired but it all feeds out of the same panel which has a shunt on the main. I can wire that in series or parallel to both panels. ive done several times with multiple pieces of equipment under hoods with shunts

templdl

With only one gas valve, that's the only way to do it. The OP can have the Ansul tech copy him the page in the manual showing the hook up of the gas solenoid and all should be clear. You're only other option is to interlock the control heads so that when one system activates the other does as well. Not an ideal solution as you wind up with twice the clean up mess as necessary.
That's my point. Following an existing diagram would certainly reduce the chance of liability should there the a failure. The question should always be who would they go after if they blame a failure of the system on you. One should caution when going it on your own..

tyha

What would it take to have gas man put a 2nd valve in the gas supply?

yeah right? I don't see that happening. its a freakin Dave & Busters. a huge retail chain that has stores going up constantly usually with similar travelling subs. this is our first. I picked up a RIB and I'm gonna install right above control valve have ansul gc and owner write off on it or I will submit an rfi on a store we've nego an accelerated schedule for and has deadline next week. 20 month schedule changed to 12 week schedule .
trust me I nego myself and its not my first acceleration and I don't take no for an answer and we are being justly compensated

tyha

thanks

thanks

oh yeah, Ive been on this forum for almost ten years. my company dissolved due to a bankrupt gc owing 400k about 2 years ago. long story I know what I did right and wrong including spending 60K in attorney retainers to gain nothing ( lesson learned much much much wiser now) no discussion about it please. point is this forum is invaluable especially considering the last 10 years ive been mostly managing and collecting money. I came through the field so I absolutely know what I'm doing but when I have an issue I know I can get the correct answer here one way or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.