Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearance

Clearance

Does the code requires workspace clearance for a meter base and HVAC condenser unit disconnects.
    I have a cuatomer who just fired their electrician and hired my company to finish/cleanup the mess. What I noticed is that the home was built as a new construction and the 2 AC UNIT outdoors were right in front of the meter base and the disconnects were installed behind them too. I'm at the last stages and before i order wire or try to finish up. Do you think there will be a problem?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Meter bases are not required by NEC, POCO may have some rules on clearances, mine does.
    As far as your AC disconnects see 110.26 A
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

All of the POCO's around here require clearance in front of the meter.

The AC disconnect clearance has been argued here ad nauseum, IMO it is required. Here in NJ the State has decided it's not required so that's how they enforce it.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    All of the POCO's around here require clearance in front of the meter.

The AC disconnect clearance has been argued here ad nauseum, IMO it is required. Here in NJ the State has decided it's not required so that's how they enforce it.
    Some places say you must have 110.26 clearances if the device has overcurrent protection in it.

NEC is not all that clear in this regard. If you want to take it for what it says, you might say workspace is required for any junction box with splices within it, because one can test for voltage (examine while energized) in that box.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    NEC is not all that clear in this regard. If you want to take it for what it says, you might say workspace is required for any junction box with splices within it, because one can test for voltage (examine while energized) in that box.
    As I stated this has been discussed before but for an AC disconnect we all know that someone will be testing the disconnect while energized if there is a problem with the unit. Given the choice between popping open the disconnect cover and sticking your tester leads in there versus removing screws and the cover on the unit, 99 out of 100 will check the disco first. I've done it many times myself. IMO fuses or no fuses makes no difference.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    As I stated this has been discussed before but for an AC disconnect we all know that someone will be testing the disconnect while energized if there is a problem with the unit. Given the choice between popping open the disconnect cover and sticking your tester leads in there versus removing screws and the cover on the unit, 99 out of 100 will check the disco first. I've done it many times myself. IMO fuses or no fuses makes no difference.
    I agree. I also have many times crawled into crawlspace and taken voltage readings in junction boxes or other enclosures. Another key word in the code is "likely"

Still one of the worst code sections that the CMP seems to think is fine the way it is. Pretty sure people have tried to clarify it but is always rejected.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

I believe the opening statement of 110.26 covers it well. A j-box is not equipment. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Vince1971 View Post
    I believe the opening statement of 110.26 covers it well. A j-box is not equipment. IMO
    Depends on whose definition you use. The NEC has such a generic definition even a locknut could be equipment.

Equipment. A general term, including fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a
    part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation.
    Rob

IMC has clearance requirements also.Name:  IMC 306.1.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  46.6 KB
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

Quote Originally Posted by dkidd View Post
    IMC has clearance requirements also.Name:  IMC 306.1.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  46.6 KB
    That's talking about the condenser
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector