Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: another AFCI nuisance trip question

Go GE AFCI's Bull....

they rarely trip

~RJ~

well thats good to know jockey, because my next whole house change out has a GE panel
    which is good, because around here you can NOT use a breaker in a panel it is not rated for. that usually means a BR, so you cant put a square D into a C-H panel etc. they'll get you every time. i try to use a recep instead of a breaker on these for obvious reasons as well. less owner-monkied wiring to try to protect as well. but i'm sure using 3 afci recepts will take care of it as it will remove all wiring from the circuit. just hope the house doesnt burn down haha (slap face again). oie!
    The End of the World as i Knew it: 2012. I'm having my Doom's Day now.

Bullhiemer,

I've been installin afci's since my state jumped 210.12 in the '98 cycle, tried them all

GE is one of two manufacturers that took the GFP out of their product

Others up on UL1699 could probably explain it better than I could

Bottom line, less call backs & sleep better

wishing it for you as well

~RJ~

Fortunately we are not on the 2017 here yet but I can guarantee you that when we ever do nobody is going to file to replace receptacles. Nobody does now.

If I were you I would walk away from that kind of work if you insist on filing, you have to be losing money. If you could just go in and replace receptacles, but how much do you have to charge to cover the AFCI problems? No customer is going to want to pay for it so they hire a handyman to go to HD and replace the receptacles with what was there.

This is getting so bad that there is going to be a revolt!

-Hal

To be honest, the handymen are winning out on my turf

~RJ~

but, here I am, a handyman, studying the codes as I have been required in the places I work to get certified in the code to do any electrical now... In UK it is Part P certification but still... after years of doing light replacements and switch repairs, have to go to the basics of an apprentice apparently just to earn my 14 grand a year..lol...
    Not complaining, because most of it is learning how to bend conduit, and such, stuff I always stayed away from... Now I might be able to do work, in about a year...

Last few AFCI trippin issues I had was neutral touching ground in the circuit somewhere.

Found the problem and AFCI did not trip anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    Have had issues in the past with inductive kick-back from exhaust fans when they are turned off, this could be the culprit.

Ive been noticing more and more exhaust fans coming with a capacitor across the leads to the motor to dampen this effect (I think)
    I have been seeing "ultra silent" fans with capacitors, but pretty certain they are PSC type motors instead of shaded pole motors is the reason they have a capacitor. The cheap fans are still shaded pole motors with lesser blower design.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    Last few AFCI trippin issues I had was neutral touching ground in the circuit somewhere.

Found the problem and AFCI did not trip anymore.
    One could, if one wished, de-energize, disconnect , and meter and/or meg all the noodles to ground

~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    but, here I am, a handyman, studying the codes as I have been required in the places I work to get certified in the code to do any electrical now... In UK it is Part P certification but still... after years of doing light replacements and switch repairs, have to go to the basics of an apprentice apparently just to earn my 14 grand a year..lol...
    Not complaining, because most of it is learning how to bend conduit, and such, stuff I always stayed away from... Now I might be able to do work, in about a year...
    Try 7-8 to be on one's own here

& good luck Adam

~RJ~