User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contractor wants me to sign a contract, but it sounds like I can get screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    Have an attorney review and explain what you’re signing.
    Exactly that, you can be sure someone else's attorney wrote it, have your attorney read/alter it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbang View Post
    Exactly that, you can be sure someone else's attorney wrote it, have your attorney read/alter it.
    I would not waste a dime on hiring a lawyer to look at that garbage.

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    Don’t sign anything that doesn’t include a schedule of values for payment that you specify.

Don’t sign anything that limits your profit.

Don’t sign anything with an at-will termination clause.

Don’t sign anything that doesn’t include an arbitration clause.

Have an attorney review and explain what you’re signing.

Contracts are negotiable.
    yeah. what he said. all of it.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a residential or commercial job? How much is the contract for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    Why the heck would anyone sign such a BS clause. This contractor can always let you go and screw you from at least 10%.
    I can see why you feel you would be working for him. What's the sense of a contract if it can be cancelled at will by one party with no ramifications to them?

I too would like to know what kind of job this is and how much.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the advice, I have been reading all of your comments very carefully. What really bothers me is that I gave them the estimate for this job about three months ago and just last week they said they want to move forward with my estimate and want the job started tomorrow, Wednesday the 11th. They said they would write up a contract and send it to me and I only received this contract yesterday morning and now they are telling me to hurry and sign it and send it back to them. It seems like they just want me to sign it without reading it. So I'm taking my time and took at sharpie and blacked out some of the words like you guys said. This is a residential house remodel, they gutted the whole house, re framed it and are starting it new. The total cost I quoted was $ 9,393.90.
    They also sent a Release and waiver of lien that they want me to sign. Don't I sign that AFTER the job is completed and they send me the final payment?

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be inclined to ask for up front monies, that kiss I mentioned. Do you have scheduled payments listed?

IDK what the laws are for lein waivers in your State but maybe you should become familiar with them now. See a lawyer as others have suggested.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarcolumbo View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice, I have been reading all of your comments very carefully. What really bothers me is that I gave them the estimate for this job about three months ago and just last week they said they want to move forward with my estimate and want the job started tomorrow, Wednesday the 11th. They said they would write up a contract and send it to me and I only received this contract yesterday morning and now they are telling me to hurry and sign it and send it back to them. It seems like they just want me to sign it without reading it. So I'm taking my time and took at sharpie and blacked out some of the words like you guys said. This is a residential house remodel, they gutted the whole house, re framed it and are starting it new. The total cost I quoted was $ 9,393.90.
    They also sent a Release and waiver of lien that they want me to sign. Don't I sign that AFTER the job is completed and they send me the final payment?
    They want a lien release up front. Are you kidding. This guy appears to be a crook.
    You never ever sign a lien release until you have the money in hand and cleared the bank. You can provide a conditional waiver until payment is made. However never at the start of the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarcolumbo View Post
    Yeh, don’t sign that. You can offer a conditional waiver that is contingent on final payment. I’m assuming you haven’t worked with this GC before? Ask for referrals from existing subs and give them a call.

To me, this isn’t worth all the hassle for $10k; but I don’t know your situation. Send them your proposed revisions, and if they balk, I’d suggest walking away from this one. For what profit I’m guessing you will make it’s just not worth the consultation fees from an attorney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a better idea. Send them YOUR contract and tell them to sign IT.

-Hal