Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contractor wants me to sign a contract, but it sounds like I can get screwed.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    This project may not be worth the attorney fees, but your future will be. Take the time. Spend the money if you can.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I have a better idea. Send them YOUR contract and tell them to sign IT.

-Hal
    I did, and they said they won't sign my contract and they need me to sign theirs.

I add amendments to any contracts that aren't agreeable to me. Then negotiate those amendments and either come to a mutual agreement or don't take the job. I would not take the job under this contract as written.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarcolumbo View Post
    I did, and they said they won't sign my contract and they need me to sign theirs.
    Say “Thank you for the opportunity, but No thank you.” Go home research your lien laws.
    Tom
    TBLO

Thanks for all of the advice, I have been reading all of your comments very carefully. What really bothers me is that I gave them the estimate for this job about three months ago and just last week they said they want to move forward with my estimate and want the job started tomorrow, Wednesday the 11th. They said they would write up a contract and send it to me and I only received this contract yesterday morning and now they are telling me to hurry and sign it and send it back to them. It seems like they just want me to sign it without reading it. So I'm taking my time and took at sharpie and blacked out some of the words like you guys said. This is a residential house remodel, they gutted the whole house, re framed it and are starting it new. The total cost I quoted was $ 9,393.90.
    They also sent a Release and waiver of lien that they want me to sign. Don't I sign that AFTER the job is completed and they send me the final payment?
    Don't let them rush you into doing anything. As others have said, you can get a conditional lien release, but no final lien release until you are paid. This is no problem for a legitimate general contractor. It's everyday business.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    Why the heck would anyone sign such a BS clause. This contractor can always let you go and screw you from at least 10%.

Don't most contractors charge at least 10% OH and another 10% profit at a minimum these days.
    So, let me think about this. He pays you up to 90% through final inspection, terminates the contract, turns it into cost plus with 10% max, and then runs you through the wringer to justify every box, screw, and switchplate, demanding all YOUR invoices and maybe demanding a rake back when you can't produce every sliver of paper. Thank you kindly, but I'd pass.

Walk away ......NOW

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Thanks for all of the advice, I have been reading all of your comments very carefully. What really bothers me is that I gave them the estimate for this job about three months ago and just last week they said they want to move forward with my estimate and want the job started tomorrow, Wednesday the 11th. They said they would write up a contract and send it to me and I only received this contract yesterday morning and now they are telling me to hurry and sign it and send it back to them. It seems like they just want me to sign it without reading it. So I'm taking my time and took at sharpie and blacked out some of the words like you guys said. This is a residential house remodel, they gutted the whole house, re framed it and are starting it new. The total cost I quoted was $ 9,393.90.
    They also sent a Release and waiver of lien that they want me to sign. Don't I sign that AFTER the job is completed and they send me the final payment?
    no, you sign it AFTER the final check clears, including retention.

the ONLY way you will know how badly this will go, is to begin work.
    if you want to save time, figure out how much the material will cost,
    take that in cash, and set fire to it in the driveway. then, take the
    time you figure it will take to do the job, and take a vacation with it.
    take the cost of the vacation out of the pile on the driveway before you
    torch it.

you will return home rested, and be in far better shape than if you did
    the job.

here is what it is..... the OTHER guy they were attempting to sucker
    walked. and they *do* want you to sign it without reading it.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Walk away ......NOW
    Seriously.... Do you really want to work for GC's like this one? Put your efforts into finding good honest people to work for.

If you are this worried the guy is going to try and cheat you, why would you want to do business with him on any terms?
    Bob