Thread: Expansion joint or liquid tight for repair job

Expansion joint or liquid tight for repair job

I have a job where the underground feed to the detached garage broke free from the box on the house. The problem is the rigid conduit comes up from the concrete patio about 24" into a bell box mounted on a brick wall (this is where it emerges from the house). The patio moves with the seasons so i need something flexable or it will just happen again.
    I figure i can cut the pipe and mount a second box and use liquid tight between the two but it look odd. Is there a way to use an expansion joint to allow movement? I'm picturing a pvc slip joint or something...
    Just looking for some suggestions.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    They make metallic expansion joints. You’ll need a second mortgage, but they’re available.
    Tom
    TBLO

Yeah, i saw that... man they are outrageous! I thought about making my own by simply slipping 1/2 inside 3/4 but don't think that will pass mustard, lol.
    I think I'm going to cut the pipe and use couplings and liquid tight since it will allow lateral movement as well.
    I feel like ill probably have to pull the wire out and replace it just to be safe. The wire has melted together at the broken fitting causing a slow fault. I'm going to see if the wire will move in the pipe first but I'll feel better with all new wire.

The feed to the garage lost its ground connection when the pipe broke, so the shorted wire turned the pipe into a heater and melted the wire. I'm going to replace the pipe with liquid tight to prevent future breakage. I think adding a ground wire to the garage would be a safe bet.