Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: generator transfer switch and main service panel

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    The service conductors would land on a properly sized transfer switch and would not share the raceway with the conductors going back to the main breaker.
    You're contradicting yourself:
    I want to disconnect the service conductors from the main breaker and run them thru a short nipple to the transfer switch, then from the transfer switch back to the main service panel breaker.
    . . . unless you're talking about two nipples.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Sounds like two nipples to me, it's code compliant if he uses two nipples and a service rated transfer switch.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

So....the incoming line would pass thru my main circuit breaker panel, connect to the transfer switch, then run back to the main circuit breaker in my circuit breaker panel.
    IMHO, that would not be a safe installation. You are splicing “unprotected” service wires inside a MBP, through a nipple to the Xfer breaker and then back to the MBP. I would install a new piece of SE cable (if that’s what you are using) from the meter can to the xfer panel and then 3 wires + EGC back to the MBP. The neutrals in the MBP now have to float so... you’ll have to re-route the rod and water main grounds to the Xfer panel.

One alternative would be to install a main disconnect between the meter and the existing panel, rendering everything inside as feeders, and a single nipple could be used. This means relocating the GECs to that new disco, and not requiring a service-rated ATS. The ground/neutral separation is required either way.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

No splicing.....new conductors throughout including the GEC and yes two separate nipples including bond bushings.