Thread: Disconnect fusing

Disconnect fusing

Is it a violation to fuse one pole of a 3 phase supply at a different amperage?If yes, could you please direct me to the pertinent code that would apply.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nizak View Post
    Is it a violation to fuse one pole of a 3 phase supply at a different amperage?If yes, could you please direct me to the pertinent code that would apply.

Thanks
    Some detail would be helpful.

Are you feeding separate single phase loads? If so, and you have sized the disconnect for the highest load, sized the conductors appropriately, and you are OK with disconnecting all loads if needing to disconnect one of them, then there is no code issue I can think of.

If feeding a three phase plus a single phase from the same switch, I think it could be done if you paid enough attention to all of the details such as properly sizing the disconnect and ensuring that the lugs are rated for more than one conductor, and that the fuse sizes fit within the rules for both loads, but I think all of that will be highly unlikely.

If feeding just a three phase load, I don’t see the validity of even considering it.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by nizak View Post

Thanks
    I see it done in 240V high leg services, where the B phase fuse is smaller than the A and C phase fuses.