Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vapor barrier boxes

Vapor barrier boxes

Good evening,

State of Massachusetts

I’ve been seeing a lot of these electrical boxes with so called vapor barrier.
    They are plastic boxes guessing for residential use but have a gasket around them. They seem to be very expensive compared to regular plastic boxes. In the state of Massachusetts does anyone know if these are a new code requirement for New residential construction or just a new way for suppliers to increase cost in the industry?

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...p-and-list.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not new at all, and not a ploy— it’s just a lot of cities/towns haven’t adopted stretch code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a side bar, they’re not a bad idea and I don’t have a problem using them. However, there are some instances (like kitchens) where I like to use adjustable boxes because the back-splashes are usually tiled. Using extension collars can sometimes be a real PITA.

That said, I’m told by some of my colleagues that there are some towns here in NJ that are requiring them. Not sure what Code they are citing but some EI’s like to find obscure Codes just to break chops

It's from the IECC.

Name:  Boxes.JPG
Views: 279
Size:  80.0 KB
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

There’s the obscure Code !!! It’s hard enough trying to keep up with the NEC and then an EI finds this one just to let you know he’s “up on the Codes”.

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    There’s the obscure Code !!! It’s hard enough trying to keep up with the NEC and then an EI finds this one just to let you know he’s “up on the Codes”.
    That's PE.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

My experience so far in Massachusetts vapor barrier boxes are not required in remodels ( I'm not talking additions) and where closed cell spray foam in used.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
    My experience so far in Massachusetts vapor barrier boxes are not required in remodels ( I'm not talking additions) and where closed cell spray foam in used.

My application would be for a new construction home.

Quote Originally Posted by pmoney44 View Post
    My application would be for a new construction home.
    If the GC is using closed cell spray foam insulation in the walls when you don't need vapor barrier boxes. If they are using fiberglass then you will need vapor barrier boxes.