Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment space

Equipment space

I have to upgrade this panel and service I'm 100%certin that steam line is in the dedicated space and I need to move the panel anyone disagree

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Moving the panel is a good start. Looks like you are going to be there all month.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

If I installed the new panel under the steam line would it still be considered inside the space

Quote Originally Posted by nickelec View Post
    I have to upgrade this panel and service I'm 100%certin that steam line is in the dedicated space and I need to move the panel anyone disagree

It doesn't seem to be in the dedicated space, but does appear to be in the working space.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

So if that steamline were 6 foot 7inches off the floor and the panel is mounted underneath it then I would be in the clear correct

Albuquerque, New Mexico ,Untied States of America
    I believe he is referring to the front working space, the steam line is not your only problem...the cabinet that the panel is in is considered in the working space IIRC.

So if that steamline were 6 foot 7inches off the floor and the panel is mounted underneath it then I would be in the clear correct

PJHolguin 8-)

Cabinetis coming down when u replace the panel im worried about the steam line

110.26(E)-Dedicate equipment space is the space above the panel, the width and depth of the panel and up to 6 feet above the panel or to the structural ceiling (whichever is lower), and cannot anything other than that which is dedicated to the electrical installation (cables, raceways, etc.).

110.26(A)(1) through (3)- Clear working space is the space in front of the panel, 30 inches wide by 36 inches deep and 6.5 feet high, and this space cannot contain anything else.

If the steam pipe is in either of the above spaces, it would be a violation.

My review of the photo tells me that the steam line is not directly over the panel. So you would not have a problem with dedicated space. It then would come down to whether the steam line is at least 6.5 feet above the floor.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    110.26(E)-Dedicate equipment space is the space above the panel, the width and depth of the panel and up to 6 feet above the panel or to the structural ceiling (whichever is lower), and cannot anything other than that which is dedicated to the electrical installation (cables, raceways, etc.).

110.26(A)(1) through (3)- Clear working space is the space in front of the panel, 30 inches wide by 36 inches deep and 6.5 feet high, and this space cannot contain anything else.

If the steam pipe is in either of the above spaces, it would be a violation.
    How does dedicated space apply to panelboards recessed in wood framing? Are cross-members of the wood framing and thermal insulation allowed within it?