Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Dog, New Tricks

Old Dog, New Tricks

Yesterday I went on a service call to replace a speed control switch for a ceiling fan. Removed the old switch and went to find a replacement.

Found what looked like an identical replacement . Terminals marked L, 1,2, 3 the same as old switch.

What I didn't notice was in print at the bottom of the package. Dual capacitor switch.

This will not work with a single capacitor fan.
    Had to go purchase and install the correct switch.

It been years since I installed a fan switch ( normally install a new fan and that way you know it will work).

I had forgotten that those switches look exactly the same as far as the markings. At least now I can tell people that I'm senile and not stupid.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Yesterday I went on a service call to replace a speed control switch for a ceiling fan. Removed the old switch and went to find a replacement.

Found what looked like an identical replacement . Terminals marked L, 1,2, 3 the same as old switch.

What I didn't notice was in print at the bottom of the package. Dual capacitor switch.

This will not work with a single capacitor fan.
    Had to go purchase and install the correct switch.

It been years since I installed a fan switch ( normally install a new fan and that way you know it will work).

I had forgotten that those switches look exactly the same as far as the markings. At least now I can tell people that I'm senile and not stupid.
    Would it not have been less cost to replace the entire unit?
    I know, hindsight and all that.......
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    replace the fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    replace the fan?
    Shall we let the OP answer?
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Shall we let the OP answer?
    it just seems odd to replace the fan when only the switch is bad, that's all
    relax

That what I normally do. Fans are cheap and the labor to install is not that much. I could have installed a new fan in less time.

The choice is not mine to make, I can only make suggestions, in the end it's up to the customer.

There are a few people (very few) that don't like our disposable society and all the waste and want to repair rather than replace.

That what I normally do. Fans are cheap and the labor to install is not that much. I could have installed a new fan in less time.

The choice is not mine to make, I can only make suggestions, in the end it's up to the customer.

There are a few people (very few) that don't like our disposable society and all the waste and want to repair rather than replace.
    isn't the switch just a single gang wall switch?

it just seems odd to replace the fan when only the switch is bad, that's all
    relax
    Not really. By the time the switch fall apart the fans are normally a bit old (10-20) years. If the fan was a real high quality unit such as a hunter original then it's worth repairs because it can have many years of service left. If the fan was a $50 special from a department store it's probably near the end of it's normal life anyway.

MY original post was to let people know to check for the correct switch before getting a replacement because the 2 switches will look exactly alike. They are different internally.

isn't the switch just a single gang wall switch?
    The speed control switch that's inside the fan housing that's operated by a pull chain.

The speed control switch that's inside the fan housing that's operated by a pull chain.

makes sense now