Thread: Possible voltage drop

Possible voltage drop

I'm staying at a RV park, there has pretty much been 0 upkeep in the past 32 years, I noticed throughout the day the voltage fluctuates quite a bit between 93V and 117v, I've checked power at the post a few times and its usually a couple volts higher than inside the camper, I'm looking for some type of solution to keep the voltage up, any ideas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180711-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	20754

I would suspect a bad neutral connection somewhere.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Maybe I'll do some more poking around, I wouldn't doubt multiple lots being on the same circuit also, as most of the wiring appears to be overhead strung through the trees

You could do what I did: I sold the RV park a complete upgrade. It had six paired "pedestals" (18" tall 6x6 posts) each with a pair of duplex Edison receptacles on an ungrounded bootlegged multi-wire 60a circuit that used the bare conductor as a neutral. The feeder was 375 feet of 6awg buried about 4" deep. Guests frequently parked, saw the power situation, demanded a refund and left.

I installed two 200amp services feeding 12 Midwest pedestals with 50/30/20 receptacles via 4/0 in conduit 30" down.

Honestly, there's nothing you as a guest can do to stabilize the voltage to your site.

I highly doubt these people put any money into this place, and they only accept cash, sevral lots are vacant because of power or water/sewer issues, the post appears to have a #2 or #3 aluminum feeding my whole row, most likely on a 200/250amp fuse, , which has 6 campers in use, both lugs were loose but after tightening did not appear to improve the issue,

Name:	rps20180712_201420.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	20755

Name:	rps20180712_201537.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	20756

Name:	rps20180712_201735.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	20757

Quote Originally Posted by karn View Post
    I'm looking for some type of solution to keep the voltage up, any ideas?

Name:	IMG-20180711-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	20754
    Move to a different park.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbqranch View Post
    Move to a different park.
    I would if I could (: I may try to torque up those exposed lugs In the bottom of the main and see if that helps, but I almost wonder if the issue may be the transformer dropping under a heavy load or something else

hook up your scope to the line, waveforms will tell you if transformer drop is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    hook up your scope to the line, waveforms will tell you if transformer drop is involved.
    Unfortunately I don't have a scope, and probably wouldn't be able to read it well enough if I did

Quote Originally Posted by karn View Post
    I would if I could (: I may try to torque up those exposed lugs In the bottom of the main and see if that helps, but I almost wonder if the issue may be the transformer dropping under a heavy load or something else
    Six 30 amp campers pulling through 2AWG aluminum feeder that likely needs all the connections cleaned and retreated with anti-oxidation compound...it's actually somewhat surprising you see 93v.