Thread: ICC Standard Master Exam

ICC Standard Master Exam

Anyone taken this exam recently? I have to take it for KC MO. I have taken ICC exams in other trades, but none for electrical. Just curious on content, Its says it's a nec 2011 exam. We are on 2017 in IA, so I have to get back into the 2011 book. They give you 5 hours which is 1 hour longer than anything I have done before. Could be good, could be bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This exam had about 5 to 7 theory questions, 25+ calculation questions, and the rest straight code. It is geared very much toward industrial wiring. There are only a couple residential questions and only a handful of light commercial. The majority of the calculations are motor and transformer calculations.

Some states require 70% to pass and some states require 75% to pass. I was required to get 75 percent to pass. I fell slightly short and did not pass on first attempt. I will study all of Mike's resources on motor and transformer calculations. I feel that If I can get cleaned up on those calculations I can exceed the 75% mark.

In my company we just simply never do industrial wiring and never deal with motors and or transformers so I have little personal experience In 20 years of wiring. The 5 hours is plenty is of time, I just did not know well enough how to set up the calculations to get accurate answers. Hopefully this may help guide someone else that may take this exam.