Receptacles Downstream of GFCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
On a slightly different note, I have noticed lately that a lot of commercial prints are calling for a dedicated Neutral to GFI Receptacles lately although I havent quite figured out the intent as of yet.

In that case GFI Receptacles would not be allowed on MWBC's.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Maintaining the Neutral connection may very well be thier reasoning, but , I'd chalk that up to someone who didnt know how to wire a MWBC to GFI receptacles to begin wtih.

JAP>

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
On a slightly different note, I have noticed lately that a lot of commercial prints are calling for a dedicated Neutral to GFI Receptacles lately although I havent quite figured out the intent as of yet.

In that case GFI Receptacles would not be allowed on MWBC's.

JAP>
They are trying to take them away from us. Too much fear and too little training for the next generation of sparkys to continue using a very elegant circuit.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The only disadvantages I can come up with for MWBC's are the untrained personell working on those circuits.

Otherwise, Less wire, Less return current, Less Neutral Load, less crowding of pipes and lower cost.

I am and always will be a big fan of MWBC's,,,, Handle Ties,,, not so much.

I dont know about you all but the only time you'll break a neutral under load is by accident, if your working something Hot.

Handle ties will not prompt someone to turn off circuits if its thier intention of tying something in that they dont want to shut down in the first place.

I dont know of any knowlegeable electricians that would go to a panel and start loosening neutral screws for no reason without first shutting off the circuits envolved.

There,,, I said it....:)

JAP>

electricalist

I most often find the opened neutral happens in a device box where the home run began.
I dont do my circuits that way. For that reason.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

electricalist

When i have gotten call of equipment burnt up from an open neutral. I usually find a device that someone worked on and the neutrals were taken apart to put a new device.
The neutrals pigtailed down to one for a plug and someone not qualified or paying attention takes them apart.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The only disadvantages I can come up with for MWBC's are the untrained personell working on those circuits.

Otherwise, Less wire, Less return current, Less Neutral Load, less crowding of pipes and lower cost.

I am and always will be a big fan of MWBC's,,,, Handle Ties,,, not so much.

I dont know about you all but the only time you'll break a neutral under load is by accident, if your working something Hot.

Handle ties will not prompt someone to turn off circuits if its thier intention of tying something in that they dont want to shut down in the first place.

I dont know of any knowlegeable electricians that would go to a panel and start loosening neutral screws for no reason without first shutting off the circuits envolved.

There,,, I said it....:)

JAP>
You said it well. I agree.

kwired

Electron manager
When i have gotten call of equipment burnt up from an open neutral. I usually find a device that someone worked on and the neutrals were taken apart to put a new device.
The neutrals pigtailed down to one for a plug and someone not qualified or paying attention takes them apart.

This only burns up equipment if they are working it with more then one leg of the MWBC energized.

So if older circuit that didn't require handle ties and they only shut off one breaker of a two breaker circuit - all they are doing is opening a point in the remaining 120 volt circuit - there is no potential to have over 120 volts.

Three pole MWBC and only shutting off one leg - leaves two poles to have over 120 volts should you open the supply neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.