Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Disagreement W/ Inspector - Ethics

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    At the end of the day your code complaint design is what customer is paying for.
    Sounds like the customer doesn't want to pay for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gshell82 View Post
    So we pretty much are in agreement that a 2nd ATS is needed for the emergency/egress lighting.

So going back to the question... what do I do? Design it with a known code violation or go back to the builder and say no way I cannot do it as the building inspector is suggesting?

It seems I go with the second route.

Thanks for all the help.
    In MA you need a separate ATS for life safety, and the life safety equipment must be located in its own 2hr fire rated room.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    In MA you need a separate ATS for life safety, and the life safety equipment must be located in its own 2hr fire rated room.
    I agree with the first part but I don't agree with the second part that it needs it's own 2hr rated room.

This may be true for certain occupancy types such as healthcare or nursing homes but for Type R-2 specifically (which I'm dealing with), that is nowhere required in the Mass Building Code.

If I am wrong, please provide where this is required.

Thank You

So we pretty much are in agreement that a 2nd ATS is needed for the emergency/egress lighting.

So going back to the question... what do I do? Design it with a known code violation or go back to the builder and say no way I cannot do it as the building inspector is suggesting?

It seems I go with the second route.

Thanks for all the help.
    I don't fully understand the issue. Is the inspector saying you simply don't need a 2nd ATS or is he saying using a 2nd ATS is a violation?

Some inspectors/plan checker will often point out unnecessary items but that doesn't mean they are a violation. We all know we can exceed the code if desired.

The inspector is saying you don't need the 2nd ATS for Emergency Lights.

Clearly that's a code violation and I decided I am willing to lose the client and just do the design per code.

The inspector is saying you don't need the 2nd ATS for Emergency Lights.

Clearly that's a code violation and I decided I am willing to lose the client and just do the design per code.
    When (not if) the customer asks you why you decided on the more expensive design, you should already be prepared to present him a little narrative based on the relevant code sections as to why you think the inspector is not correct. Maybe a couple of illustrations from Mike's site here, if they're available on a fair use basis.