What are some good (elec) engineering practices do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not engineering exactly, but be clear in what you say. For instance, avoid jargon and local names like calling for "a mossey" (I made that up) when the manufacturer calls the stuff strut or channel (Unistrut / Kindorf). If someone has to RFI part of a design, it wasn't clear to start.

When something might look funny, include an explanation, or at least a code ref., that it's really OK.

And remember the poor sods that have to build what you design :). Try not to make their life difficult. Things like slightly up-sized conduit or strategically-located pull boxes can make things easier even when they're not strictly required.

Adding-
Design to code minimum or to what the customer actually needs? Pick the greater, not always code min. Part of engineering a job is to meet their needs. Likewise, look to the future ("this kitchen has room to expand, let's leave room and capacity in the panel so they can expand," that sort of thing).

Last edited:

fandi

Not engineering exactly, but be clear in what you say. For instance, avoid jargon and local names like calling for "a mossey" (I made that up) when the manufacturer calls the stuff strut or channel (Unistrut / Kindorf). If someone has to RFI part of a design, it wasn't clear to start.

When something might look funny, include an explanation, or at least a code ref., that it's really OK.

And remember the poor sods that have to build what you design :). Try not to make their life difficult. Things like slightly up-sized conduit or strategically-located pull boxes can make things easier even when they're not strictly required.
Thanks for the reply. But I thought good engineering practices are Regulations, technical specifications and standards, are they not?

Thanks for the reply. But I thought good engineering practices are Regulations, technical specifications and standards, are they not?

The NEC, IBC, local reg's, etc are all required minimums, not design guides. There are places where we've argued that NEC minimums are not good practice.

However, if you can't communicate the design to the builders, it doesn't matter how good it is. (And I suppose the original question sort of demonstrates the point.)

Are you thinking of specific things like up-sizing wire for less voltage drop or using/not-using MWBCs?

fandi

The NEC, IBC, local reg's, etc are all required minimums, not design guides. There are places where we've argued that NEC minimums are not good practice.

However, if you can't communicate the design to the builders, it doesn't matter how good it is. (And I suppose the original question sort of demonstrates the point.)

Are you thinking of specific things like up-sizing wire for less voltage drop or using/not-using MWBCs?
sorry it's not my question. it's an interview question.

mgookin

Sorry I need an answer today. Thanks everyone.

Don't be over reliant on computers and calculations. When you design something, take a second look at it and ask the following:

Does it make sense?
Does it serve the intended purpose?
Is it safe?
It is equitable?
Have you served your client's interest?
Does it conform to the policies of the firm you work for?

Those are "practices". Codes are "regulations".

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Stay away from "cut and paste" pages. As was kind of stated earlier, if you use abbreviations and have a "key", make sure that they are all on there.

I just had one today that had a note by a receptacle that said "15" AFC", when you go to the "key" AFC means "arc fault calculation". I know that's not what they were talking about. So now I have no idea what AFC means in this case.

Also remove all notes that do not pertain to the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.