Garage feeder - can't go underground, can't use conduit - what wire type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimFromAustin

Hi Guys,

The garage is in a strange spot. Can't go underground to get to it, and can't use conduit to get there because there would be too many 90 degree turns. Really don't want to go overhead.

The only real choice is to run exposed cable on exterior of house, then under deck and then can make a short run of conduit from deck to the garage sub panel entrance. Shooting for 60Amps of usable service. The house has a flat roof so can't get into attic to run wire and it is single story, so no basement. Would need to run cable along top perimeter of house and shoot down the side at some point. Would like to protect that section with conduit if allowed.

Thanks for you help!

JimFromAustin

Everything I can find seems to point to UF or SER cable, but I'm not sure if just a portion of the run can go thru conduit? The 10 foot drop from the top of the house to get under the deck would really be for aesthetics, but the short run from the deck to the garage might need conduit. Would certainly make it look better too.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Uf and se cable can be installed in conduit however you cannot run se cable in conduit if the conduit is underground

J.P.

Set a pull box or use LBs? Hard to say without seeing it.

Hire a boring company and let them get under everything.

We ran some very convoluted piping at a local plant. Must have been 7 LBs and 5 90s in a 400ft run.

JFletcher

Hi Guys,

can't use conduit to get there because there would be too many 90 degree turns.

That's what j-boxes are for. You can have up to 360* bend before you need one.

Would like to protect that section with conduit if allowed.

It's not only allowed, it's required. Rigid PVC would work fine; paint it to color of the house if the HO is picky.

You can go under the garage. Just trench to it, dig under the outside wall a foot or so, then hammer drill thru the slab. or come up beside the garage and poke thru the wall; use a LB and conduit stub to protect the cable.

Pulling UF thru conduit isnt much fun and hard to do past a sweep; waterproof j-box to THWN would be easier. Conduit used as means for physical protection only doesnt have to be continuous (300.12)

eta: 60A service? forget trying to get any amount of 6/3 UF thru pipe with bends in it. I was thinking more like 14/2. THWN.

JFletcher

Thanks for your replies guys. The code reference helped me find this old article: http://ecmweb.com/code-basics/wiring-methods-part-2-3

Out of curiosity, why does the portion running down the side of house from top to bottom require conduit?

Protection from physical damage. I dont remember how high up you'd have to go, but anywhere near ground level you could hit exposed UF with a weedeater, shovel, car, lawn jart etc.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have used tray cable that is listed as sunlight resistant and for direct bury before in strange circumstances. It's round like nm-b but has a more robust jacket. Like I said you have to find it listed for all the areas that you'll be running it in.

JimFromAustin

Curious if there is another method to protect 6/3 UF-B cable other than PVC when running it on exterior of a building, for example, from top to bottom. Would something like an A/C line set cover meet protection requirements? Or something similar but smaller?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Curious if there is another method to protect 6/3 UF-B cable other than PVC when running it on exterior of a building, for example, from top to bottom. Would something like an A/C line set cover meet protection requirements? Or something similar but smaller?
I think that would be fine. You don't really have to cover it up on the outside of a building.

Status
Not open for further replies.