Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PV exceeds max allowable backfeed. True?

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Well, the real reason is because the solar contractor made a mistake and told the HO that it could be done in a subpanel. He then recommended me to the HO to install the subpanel. The HO hired me to do the install and it's complete. Now the solar contractor's engineer (who got involved late in the project) is saying "No no no, you need a line side tap." I'm trying to save him some embarrassment by finding a way to use the load side connection.
    Never try to ask forgiveness from an engineer. If an engineer is going to be part of the project bring them in early and ask permission. Makes life much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    Never try to ask forgiveness from an engineer. If an engineer is going to be part of the project bring them in early and ask permission. Makes life much simpler.
    You're preaching to the choir. I just do what they pay me to do and offer advice when I see trouble brewing. I could not foretell this situation due to my ignorance of the PV section of NEC. I now am a lot more knowledgeable. (I don't admit ignorance lightly. )

Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    Well, if that "forgiveness" means letting a code violation slide, the engineer would have no business granting it. I certainly wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    ??? That doesn't help.
    Sorry I misread something. But why don’t you get rid of two modules?

Quote Originally Posted by baserunner4 View Post
    Sorry I misread something. But why don’t you get rid of two modules?
    That's an option, too, technically. But no one wants to present that option to the customer unless one has a solid clause in the contract that allows for charging more for other options. I don't think I've ever proposed it when a supply side connection was feasible.