Cutting ridgid Conduit with wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
So what did I end up doing at about 1AM Friday morning?

The 1/2" EMT trick worked well as did a spare long sawzal blade slide inside to keep the wires protected. I hate GRC. ;)

Sorry for the poor photos, I was more interested in getting it done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1

liquidtite

It's all night work, the parking lot is too busy to take up spots during the day.

Replacing two site pole bases and adding two new ones.

Make Shure you save the old panel .

bc you can use a peice of card board to place over top and bottom of panel were the holes are from the old conduits then trace the holes onto the cardboard .

cut the cardboard out and now you can use that peice as template for your new back board

J.P.

The 1/2" EMT trick worked well as did a spare long sawzal blade slide inside to keep the wires protected. I hate GRC. ;)

Thats pvc right?
String, pvc cutters 9 just spin them instead of cutting straight through. Even ratchet cutter like you use on large wire will work well as long as you can turn them. all these things will make short work of PVC.

iwire

Staff member
Ok. I'm in. Do I bring a sawzall, grinder, or a torch?

I have cut a panel and a large (say 48"Hx30"Wx20"D) ATS and it went very quickly with a sawzal. Neatness does not count so you can move quick with a sharp blade.

The ATS had three 4" conduits with 600 copper in them, top, bottom and one side so cutting it out was the only way it was coming out.

kwired

Electron manager

No pictures of the wire stretcher you apparently used there?

iwire

Staff member
No pictures of the wire stretcher you apparently used there?

Here ya go.

t_94791.JPG

These replaced the western unions that were likely there since before I was in the trade.:D When we exposed the conduit we found it had already been repaired once before, I took it apart at the couping someone else had installed. Unfortunately the excavator hit the pipe and bent it, I had to shorten some to get to a straight section.

Still looking into replacing the conductors but having trouble finding where they show up inside. I have traced them from the contactor through pipes to a point where the pipe goes out of sight behind a large cooler.

We replaced two existing bases with new, added two additional new bases Next week I should be setting the poles. I hope to have new conductors in place by then but if not the old ones will be reused.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cutting conduit

cutting conduit

Use the old panel as a splice box install the new one next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.