Wireman Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

OP52

Need help studying for my Wireman Exam. I don't know where to start. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
That's the business of the "father" of this site: Calling 888.NEC.CODE [632.2633] would likely be a good start.

kwired

Electron manager
Your question for help was pretty vague, what stage of the process are you at? Do you have required experience to take the exam? Are you already scheduled to take it or soon will be?

Have you contacted the exam authority and gotten some basic information from them on what the exam content may cover? NEC related content on the exam may be fairly consistent in many places but you are likely to have some questions on the laws of the local jurisdiction giving the exam as well.

mgookin

Need help studying for my Wireman Exam. I don't know where to start. Any advice would be appreciated.

Advice for preparing for any professional test:

Know the material. You need to know how the reference materials are structured. You should be able to read a question and know exactly where in that book (and in which book) you are going to research the information. You'll never remember all of the required information. You need to remember where to find the information in the book(s).

Find sample test questions & answers. You need to know how the questions are worded. You're likely to bomb your first attempt at sample test questions and this is normal. From that experience you will figure out why you got those questions wrong and it's almost always going to be because you misinterpreted the question. The more of these you can do, the better prepared you will be for test day.

Find the syllabus for the test. Every professional test will have a syllabus which will tell you how many questions on what subject matter. Make sure you are proficient as possible in that content.

Good luck!

OP52

Thanks guys. I'm scheduled to take my exam at the end of Dec. I've been jumping all over the place on the Nec trying to grasp as much as possible. I usually lean towards things I've been working on that day at work. Anybody have recommendations for practice exams?

Status
Not open for further replies.