Problem with PnP devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What does that mean?

The problem is communicating between my CLICK PLC and laptop.
Googling PnP I found a lot of stuff that probably has nothing to do with your question, but I remember seeing the term when I was having trouble getting my computer monitor to display correctly. It refers to generic monitor drivers that Windows machines use if they can't find the manufacturer specific driver for a monitor you have connected. If that sounds like something that can be relevant, try googling "PnP monitor".

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Are you using the right adapter

Are you using the right adapter

Are you useing the EA-MG-PGM-CBL from automation direct?? I think it is the only way.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are you useing the EA-MG-PGM-CBL from automation direct?? I think it is the only way.

I only used the click once. did not think all that much of it, although it is Ok for the price. I bought the cable from AD. I don't recall that it was anything special though, and if I recall correctly, it just used the default serial driver.

I will say this. There are several PLC programming packages that once they take control of your serial port do not want to let it go. RSLinx is the worst of them. If you have RSLinx installed, go in and delete any drivers that are using the serial port and reboot. RSLinx often won't give up the port until you reboot, even if you remove the driver using that port from the list of drivers RSLinx is using.

Siemens and Schneider software also can take control of a serial port and not give it back.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
How do you like those Click's Tom? I used a couple on small projects a few years ago, one on my sprinkler system:cool: and I haven't had a single issue so far. I'm still debating whether they are industrial enough to sell to our ag customers for small projects that take more than a handful of relays.

I do LOVE the DoMore controller AD sells. I installed one on a good sized feed mill and it was way easier than I expected, coming from a guy with limited programming knowledge.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
How do you like those Click's Tom? I used a couple on small projects a few years ago, one on my sprinkler system:cool: and I haven't had a single issue so far. I'm still debating whether they are industrial enough to sell to our ag customers for small projects that take more than a handful of relays.

I do LOVE the DoMore controller AD sells. I installed one on a good sized feed mill and it was way easier than I expected, coming from a guy with limited programming knowledge.
I like the CLICK. They are pretty simple to use and putting a good HMI ahead of it makes the visable part just as good as the ABs I've used on other projects. The only problem I had was one that needed reset after being with no power for a year. I put a battery in it and haven't had a call back for a couple years now.

I have yet to use a sequencer on an AB, but managed the CLICK without a problem.

i haven't tried the DoMore yet.

The first AB1500 I put in has been clicking away for 19 years IIRC. Time will tell on the CLICK.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, it all worked until lately
I changed PC's I was using one time installed program software on the second PC, but took a while to realize I needed to also install driver for the USB adapter when I couldn't link to the Click PLC.

You may have a bad device, corrupt driver, or are just overlooking something.

Maybe try to remove/reinstall driver.

Occupation
EC - retired
I changed PC's I was using one time installed program software on the second PC, but took a while to realize I needed to also install driver for the USB adapter when I couldn't link to the Click PLC.

You may have a bad device, corrupt driver, or are just overlooking something.

Maybe try to remove/reinstall driver.

New device is on the way. I updated to windows 10 not to long ago but can't remember if I have used the CLICK since then.10 was a painless update, unleeess this is the glitch.

I tried the rest several times.

mgookin

In the future an uninstall and reinstall may be an easier fix. I know with Win10 many people have had issues with printers and other devices suddenly not working and the fix is uninstall and reinstall.

I was not able to follow your thread due to the very limited information trickling out.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
N... I updated to windows 10...

...I know with Win10 many people have had issues with printers and other devices suddenly not working and the fix is...
Right there is the problem. :happyyes:

I don't know what MS did to the USB and LAN programming, but I've had way too many problems with peripheral devices for something that wasn't broken in Win 7/8.1. Most things worked fine just installing as an update. When I did a reset or clean install is when I started having major problems.

Occupation
EC - retired
In the future an uninstall and reinstall may be an easier fix. I know with Win10 many people have had issues with printers and other devices suddenly not working and the fix is uninstall and reinstall.

I was not able to follow your thread due to the very limited information trickling out.

There really isn't much more info to give. I thought I had performed a uninstall/reinstall but will try again if new device doesn't work out. I do have an XP laptop that still functions if all else fails and I need to drag it out, I will.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Even in OS X, the handling and security for USB ports is becoming more restrictive, to the point that using USB devices inside a virtual machine is difficult. You almost have to assign the USB device permanentlyto a running VM at the moment it is plugged in.

GrayHair

If a bunch of communication drivers load at boot, your PnP comms adapter may be trying to use a port already in use OR the max number of COM ports your hardware will support has been reached. I saw this more than once. Check under`Control Panel > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT). You may need to temporarily disable a rarely used driver.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is not the USB hardware, it works with the old XP laptop and I've had all the fun I want. Time to call in the local gurus.

The 30 minute project turned into several hours over several days of Off & On fun. Typical.
I'm telling you, it is Windows 10.

MS just released a major update around the day of your OP. It has some "new features" that I didn't like the default settings... so I changed them only to break the camel's back so to speak. I did a System Restore only to find out restore didn't remove the update, and it broke some of my programs and drivers. Had to uninstall the update then restore then reinstall the update without changing any defaults, then reinstall the broke programs and drivers to get my system back to close to where it was. Still have an issue with taskbar toolbar icons gone generic [for MS Office applications to boot, even after reinstalling].

Status
Not open for further replies.