Battery Cables in Conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunFish

NABCEP Certified
Occupation
Sr. PV Systems Design Engineer
Is there anything in the NEC that says battery cables must be installed in conduit?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is there anything in the NEC that says battery cables must be installed in conduit?
Depends on what voltage and current are involved, what UL type of wire or cable is used, and whether or not it would be subject to physical damage without a protective raceway or sleeve.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Also might depend on the exact application. if it is part of some factory assembly, maybe no raceway is required.

However, in general, I would say this, there is nothing special about battery cables as far as I can tell. They are just conductors like any other conductors and have to follow the same rules.

SunFish

NABCEP Certified
Occupation
Depends on what voltage and current are involved, what UL type of wire or cable is used, and whether or not it would be subject to physical damage without a protective raceway or sleeve.

Nominal battery voltage is 48 V. Overcurrent protection is at 250 A with continuous output current at 142 A. cable is fine stranded flexible battery cable.

SunFish

NABCEP Certified
Occupation
Also might depend on the exact application. if it is part of some factory assembly, maybe no raceway is required.

However, in general, I would say this, there is nothing special about battery cables as far as I can tell. They are just conductors like any other conductors and have to follow the same rules.

Application is a solar PV system with battery backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.